Used 2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 391 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Transmission failure
By eddie

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

99k miles before transmission failed. Bought new late 2004. No warranty, no luck. Others worldwide with same problem. I know for a fact, 2003 extends its transmission failure, not just the media reported for 2000 through 2002. Caveat Emptor.

Everything except transmission.

Don't rely on the Japanese perception that their cars are better. Just see Toyota and their idea of safety takes a back seat.

Honda Odyssey 2003 EXL
By tdoalamo

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wonder what the new 2011 Honda Odyssey looks like. But couldn't wait until the fall. My kid needs to go vacation in the summer and the 2003 Honda Odyssey I have had way too old. Got broken transmission @ 120,000 miles. Now leaking steering wheel oil, just fixed it. Too much wind noise and road noise when driving a Honda car. I already looked at the 2011 Toyota Sienna and love it so much, quiet drive and interior room is awesome. Will go with the Toyota Minivan then 2011 Sienna.

Powerful engine

Please do something with the wind and road noise. Transmission makes a lot of noise when shifting the gear.

Love Car, Hate Transmission
By Matt

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car second hand from a local Honda dealer, and until recently I considered it the best car I have ever owned. This was my first Honda and I was so impressed with it that when the time came to replace my commuter car I purchased a new Civic. This was until the tranny started to act strange. Soon after the dash warning lights come on. A trip to the local mechanic confirmed that the transmission is throwing three separate failure codes and will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Internet search has shown me that these failures are commonplace and that I got more life than most out my transmission. I expected more from Honda.

The interior room is great, you can fit 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in the back. Seats 7 comfortably. Handling is excellent for a vehicle this size. Engine is smooth and reliable.

Transmission failure rate is totally unacceptable. Given the number of model years affected there are obviously design issues with Honda's automatic transmissions. I will not consider purchasing another Honda until I am convinced these are resolved. Thank God my Civic is a manual shift.

Motor Mounts/Transmission Trouble Dont
By HondaNO

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Always had the recommended maintenance done. One motor mount broke early on. The other one went out at 90,000 miles = $2,500. The transmission went out at 96,000 miles over $4,000 to repair. Timing belt $980. Thought Hondas were reliable. From this site I see that it can be relied on to have costly repairs starting at around 80,000 miles. (I didn't list the previous problems just the most recent.) Has always had a lot of road noise as well as many rattles.

Hindsight is 20/20
By Ms+Zee

2003 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle @ 80K miles 9 mos. ago w/ 12K mile extended warranty. 93K miles tranny starts slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear. Then 1st and 2nd gear. No more extended warranty and Honda dealer says it's nothing they can do. This is absolutely ridiculous $4000 to have my tranny rebuilt and $6300 for brand new. I paid $10,000 for the car.

The interior size.

Fix the darn transmission and stop ripping people off. You made a mistake own up to it for Pete's sake. Seats are uncomfortable on long trips.