Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Had to let her go
By knee-dragger777

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I thought I would share my experience with this vehicle. I am now leary of Honda's reliability reputation. I bought the car new in 9/01. I put 112k trouble free miles on the motor, but I have replaced the transmission 3 times. Once at 40k, 2nd at 80k, and again at 109k. This is not indicative of Honda reliablity. Each time it was covered under warranty. I have never towed anything(didn't even have a hitch on it) However, I have a feeling the next one won't be and I can't justify paying $2,500 to 3 for vehicle only worth about 6. I had to sell it. Great family car for our "party of 5". My wife was ready to give it away. If you see one of these on the side of the road. You'll know why.

Seating arrangement, fuel economy, ride quality, auto doors,

Better/more reliable transmissions, and auto door components. Better paint quality(too soft)

Elecrical Headaches
By karonise

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I won't comment on the service I get from the dealership, but this car has constant electrical issues, the motorized doors don't close in wet weather, alarms buzz for no apparent reason, fuzes blow, motors in windows and winshiels wipers blow. I will be unloading this car this fall due to the number of times I've been inconvenienced, and I am someone who prides on owning OLD cars. I currently own a 1990 Saturn, and had an 89 Celica (180Kmi) when I finally unloaded it, and it was still running well, just the body was shot. I will be buying a Toyota.

Comfortable van for a short person, like me.

Talk to your service people about keeping more parts in stock, and not endlessly sending customers back and forth.

My 2001 & 2007 Odyssey
By erob4775

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We liked the 01 Odyssey very much so that we now own an 2007 also. The only problem to speak of was the tranmission. We had it replaced twice (under warranty). The van now has 92000 miles and going strong. The 01 is an EX the 07 is an EXL. Next year we plan on trading the 01 for an 08 Touring model.

The middle seats, together or apart and the hide away rear seats. We have a VCR in the 01 and a DVD in the 07. Great for our four grandsons ages 4 to 9.

Better transmision

Nice to drive - but poor reliability
By georgiadriver

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this to replace problem prone Sable Wagon. It was nice for 3 years but has had many problems since, new transmission (replaced by factory @ 44K thanks), door problems, rattles under hood, electrical problems, poor mileage ~ 13-15 overall except on long trips where its > 20. All service has been through the dealership. Overall we like the van - but too many little problems. The power doors hang up now - causing a buzzer to go off. We're told $500+/- to replace a motor. This isn't something I expect after 6 years and 90K miles from Honda.

3rd row seats, driving comfort, power on the road.

Power doors - eleminate them or make them reliable, transmission problems, mileage.

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L)
By Eli

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Odyssey used at 160,000 miles, and it runs great. We have shipped it to Lebanon and we use it there to shuttle my 4 kids back and forth to school, a 40 mile trip with 10,000 pot holes and the worst road surface (for american standards). Honestly we have to change the tires and brakes a lot but nothing major. Great car!!

Power doors fine in Mediterranean climate, 3rd row seat, simplicity and practicality, ride and handling.

Make it a little more interesting.