Used 2001 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Honda Odyssey
By Don

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

There is a reason that most Ody owners love their car.

Travel like a glider plane
By Donna Taylor

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Odyssey last week from a taxi driver. It has 175.000 miles and drives wonderfully . We have already put 430 miles and only spent thirty dollars. The turn signals are a little quiet but aren't annoying for being too loud. We did have to replace the catalytic converter and the check engine light still comes on. We will get that checked out again. I like the trunk space and how it is made for groceries and can easily carry chairs. I like the captain chair upfront and the room between the passenger seats. The air conditioning and heat and instrumentation work wonderfully. I am grateful that I only paid $1000 for it. I recommend this model car to anyone looking for a good first car. You feel like you are gliding down the road.

North to Alaska!
By Lisa

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this 2001 Honda Odyssey Van used with approx 130,000 miles on it as we had outgrown our older vehicle. We have only done routine maintenance to it and it has been virtually bullet proof for us. We did have problems with the sliding doors...the plastic rollers just wore out (3 kids growing up with soccer, baseball, basketball, ranching, vacations, etc. equals LOTS of door openings and closings.) One door actually fell off when I opened it due to the roller breaking but that was around the 225,000 mile mark. We ordered the replacement parts and my husband changed them out and now it works fine. It has over 263,000 miles on it now and we are beginning to shop for another vehicle.

My one really big dislike is the defroster! It takes FOREVER for the windshield to clear... bad engineering.

A nice family car
By cfl63

2001 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 2001 Honda Odyssey new.
It has been a good car for the most part.
The trans was rebuild at 180,000.
I had the main water hose blow a few months ago driving home on 95 North between Washington and Baltimore.
My main problem has been the "check engine" light which came on at about 70,000 miles.
I took it to the dealer and they had not a clue.
They did clean the engine, but the light continued to go on and off.
I have 262,000 miles on the car.
I'm in the process of replacing it, but I do not think I'll buy another Honda...

Not the Honda fan I once was
By familyofsix

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

As a family of six we need the third row, so it's either SUV or minivan.
Bought this used in 2010 to replace a totaled SUV (rollover accident).
92 Accord had been great.
Bought this despite knowing possible transmission problem because (a) Consumer Reports still called it a Best Bet, (b) thought Honda would stand behind it.
Transmission went out around 105K (apparently typical), Honda dealer wanted $5200 for a new one.
I went to my mechanic and got a rebuilt with two-year warranty for $2800.
Wrote to Honda, but they offered no help with the bill, saying they knew about other years with bad transmission but not 2001 (despite a recall on 2001 tranny & many net stories similar to mine).

Stand behind your product. I will not buy another Honda.