Used 2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

This car just won’t die!!
By Kenny

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I bought my odyssey in 2000 brand new. Little did I know Inwould still be driving it 18 years later!!! It now has 147000 miles on it and asides from regular maintenance, all I have done is replaced an EGR valve for 400 dollars and repaired a seat retractor which cost 18 dollars and I did myself. Everything still works. Have had no problems with tranny, doors, paint or everything I have been reading will be a problem with thei vehicle, but then again I take very good care of my vehicles. I change the oil every 3750 miles , wax it and do all the maintenance. I am also an easy driver and keep it in the garage. I was able to get 27 mpg by myself driving highway speeds and driving 75 mph, 4 people with AC blasting it dropped to 23.5. Gas milage in City is awful, but I really do not do much city driving. The only dislikes of the vehicle are the harsh truck like ride, road noise and I have quite a few dash board lights out. But thanks to Siri, I can always ask for the time when I am driving at night. Seats comfortable on long trips. Can drive about 6 hours, wo discomfort. Brakes last about 60000 miles, battery’s last about 9 years and I am able to get 60000 miles out of every set of tires I buy

Love our used car
By M. Crawford

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought the Honda 2000 Odyssey in 2004. The warranty was still valid. This can has been super-reliable and super-comfortable for our family of five and two dogs. After the warranty expired, an automatic door stopped working easily. Eventually we stopped using it. We had a mechanic do the 100K service of changing the water pump and timing belt; that cost about $950, which was much cheaper than the dealership. When the car reached 16 years of age it needed a new transmission. The repair cost is too much for the age of the car, so we are trading it in.

16 years and 234,000 miles, running well
By V Backman

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

This van has been amazing. Still reliable, still 24mpg on the highways, about 18-20 in town. Always had seat covers, so they look new. It's hauled kids, bikes, camping stuff, dump loads, lumber... everything. Still only preventive maintenance except for normal items like headlights. The ONLY problem we've had is the door seals sticking for the two sliding doors. They've been replaced, treated with a variety of non-stick films. Get worse after a rain. Luckily we've had a drought in CA. No reason to get another, its the reliable box.

So sad!
By Linda K.

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

I loved my car, but the transmission is a piece of junk. The door mechanisms are terrible. We replaced them five times, and the doors freeze shut in bad weather.

Great Van - Reliable and Works Every Time
By DonM3Z

2000 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

The van has been one of the most reliable vehicles we have owned. We have traveled across the country with it a few times with no problems and it is a solid performer during the harsh winters in Chicago. We purchased the van used 5 years ago with 110,000 miles and it currently has 150,000 miles. During those 40,000 miles we have not had any transmission problems and aside from preventive maintenance and tires the only things we have had to replace were: battery, rear hub, oxygen sensor, oil pan gasket and sway bar links. I keep very detailed records of all the maintenance and our annual cost to maintain this van has averaged only $800/ year. Not bad for a car that is fully paid for!

The interior is very roomy and we can haul a ton of stuff. The quality of the interior is top notch as it has held up very well to the abuse of our three kids, dog, and numerous trips to the hardware store. The technology is not the best since it is a 15 year old van now, but a Pioneer aftermarket stereo fixed all of that. Our van now has bluetooth audio for our iPhones and handsfree calling. The exterior is in great shape and the paint still holds a nice shine. Personally I think the 99-04 years is one of the nicest designs among all the Odyssey's. There are a couple of small rust spots along the rear wheel wells, but no complaints here given that we live in the rust belt.

Overall, we have been extremely happy with our van and plan to drive it another 50,000 or 70,000 miles. After that we will purchase another Odyssey - perhaps an EX-L this time.