Used 2000 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Great experience
By PA Vet

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

Decided to buy the LX as everyone else was buying the EX model, leaving LX's on the lot. Didn't want the electric doors as I saw that as something that could go wrong. The van has never let us down, gets great mileage, and is comfortable enough. Honda replaced the EGR valve and transmission based on technicians recommendation during normal maintenance. Since the transmissions replacement mileage went up from 24 mpg to 27 mpg on the highway. Otherwise just routine maintenance. We've kept it simply because of what it can haul, sheets of plywood and more important my kids junk to and from college. Since buying this we've bought 3 more Honda's, but have kept the van for its utility.

Fold down rear seat, ease of removing middle seats. Great mileage for what it can haul.

Helper springs or airbags in the rear. When fully loaded it squats at the rear. The van is also very particular with the type/brand of tire. Found out the hard way, and had to go back to the pricier Michelins. The seats are OK, but could be better for support, comfort.

Great Minivan
By DaveA

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

Yeah, it's a minivan. But...if what you want is solid reliability and flexibility, then the Odyssey delivers. I have had mine since new in late 1999 and it has only been to the shop once over 130,000 miles for a timing belt. That's it. I have used Mobil 1 and been careful to keep up with the maintenance, which is very little other than fluids, battery, plugs and brake pads. I am going to buy another Odyssey if my 10 year old one ever decides to conk out.

Reliability and low cost of ownership. It simply will not die as long as you make sure to follow the proper maintenance routine. I am a big fan of synthetic oil.

Gas mileage is OK for such a heavy vehicle. However, given that the new Honda four cylinder engines produce 170+ HP, why not drop one of those in the Odyssey. It's a minivan. All I need is adequate acceleration. Drop the power doors. Too slow to open and close.

Junk
By dr john

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I should have bought a Grand Caravan. I song and dance about reliability. Not true just a bunch of fiction from consumer reports and others. The most problematic vehicle I have owned except maybe my 68 GTO. Check engine light never stayed off, catalytic converter replaced 3x, EGR port, two transmissions after warranty was up. Sliding door repairs constantly, electrical problems and irritating road/wind noise. I am not sure what the deal is with the front brakes wearing out so often. Most of these problems were recall issues and the dealer failed to tell me. Called Honda and they refused to honor any help with repair bills. My wife and kids are stranded 5 hours away now. Tranny went out again.

none

Honor defective parts esp. the documented transmission issues.

Never had a better car!
By Tammy

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan

The Honda Odyssey SV 2000 has been the most reliable mini van I've owned. It handles very well, especially on rainy days and has been a great family car around town and on long trips.

I opted for the navigation system instead of a CD player. It has saved many family arguments and we talk to the kids.

Don't buy Honda
By Unhappy Honda Owner

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan

I am so sorry I didn't find this forum before buying my 2000 Honda Odyssey with 45000 miles. Transmission is "toast" at 100000 miles, and from the horror stories I've read here and heard elsewhere, it is not worth fixing. I am going to donate this (if they'll take it) and buy only Toyota from now on. I was expecting to get 150K miles easily, as I did with my Toyota's, but this clunker fell about 2.5 years shy of that. I will never buy another Honda based on all the bad transmissions in this plus Accord and others. Goodbye Honda, Hello Toyota.

Captains chairs, removable & fold down seats good for transporting luggage, etc.

This transmission is flawed. Honda should do something, like a "cash for clunkers" type promotion. Bring in your defective Honda & get $3K towards lease, etc. This was a huge disappointment. Never again will I buy a Honda.