Used 1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Honda Cannot be proud of This Product!
By Mando236

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We bought our van used with 68K on it, but because its a Honda we weren't worried. Boy were we WRONG! In the course of 5.5 yrs & 100K miles, we have been to the service center 21 times, replaced two trannys (soom 2B 3), constant sliding door problems, ignition switch recall, hard shifting all the time, and we are about fed up. We could have bought a brand new Domestic with the knowledge that the trannys would die, at least they would have been under warranty. The good things about the van are severely shadowed by the transmission problems. The engine runs very strong, but is no good without a reliable transmission. We spoke with American Honda, and due to our mileage offered no assistance.

Tuck under third row, comfortable seating, dashboard display, steering wheel controls.

RELIABLE TRANSMISSION. Latch system, split tuck under seats, Xenon Lighting.

Frank's 1999 Honda Odyssey
By Frank Parada

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Overall I've driven the van for four years and love it. The van gives me between 18-19 mpg and enjoy the comfortable ride. I would purchase the same van again.

Fit for a family vehicle...

Transmission and air condition system..

A Van for all Seasons
By Jim

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

We have taken our Odyssey from Pennsylvania to Allagash, Maine (loaded with canoes and people); to West Virginia (again loaded... with people and canoes, that is); to Florida, the Adirondacks and out to Michigan. This has been a great vehicle to own and has made me a minivan enthusiast - something I would not have thought possible.

Excellent engine and dashboard controls. Very good cargo capacity and versatility. Rear seating is quite easy to change. Handling, not to be confused with a Porsche, is quite good by minivan standards. Spare tire location is ingenious and functional. Built in garage door opener quite handy

Automatic gearshift lever on 1999 model was poorly positioned (this has been changed). Traction control is a joke.

So far no transmission problems
By hondamaryland

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

I bought the '99 Odyssey in 2006. So far it's been good to us. This was not subject to a transmission recall. Knocking on wood.

Five-star crash rating, especially side impact. Didn't want a minivan but decided it was safest way to go for our kids. I hated it at first but now like it. I feel pretty safe in it, and it's good for hauling things as we fix up our house. (Middle-row seats can be removed from car.)

I'm sure Honda has improved this already, but the automatic doors are very slow (especially annoying when you forgot something inside and have to wait for it to close then wait for it to open), and the one on driver's side always sticks. No button to open rear/hatch door. Speakers only in front.

Golden*
By BobP

1999 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan

This is the best of the best if you gotta have a mini van. Looks, Comfort, and a little power under the hood when you need it. It's not the mustang I would have if I had my way, but if you gotta have a mini van its GOLDEN.

Visibility, Style, V6, Easy to use features, ITS A HONDA!

Power slide doors seem to be a bit finiky. I looked a 2 to buy and both had faulty sliding doors on passenger side..,Dealer fixed the one I bought, Hope I am ok for another year!