Used 2010 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews - 200 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

Build quality: Is this really a Honda?
By pokechimp88

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This a 3rd update on our 2010 Honda Insight that we have had now for about a year in a half. It now is December 2011 and the car has 41K on it. At the 40K service, the guys found a worn out axle (left) and the drive shaft assembly was beginning to come apart (!!!!). Luckily, extended warranty covered it and in the process, they reprogrammed the IMA system and auto-stop feature and now the auto-stop engages even in sub 20 degree weather and in stop and go 5 mph traffic, something it didn't do before. The interior has held up fairly well and the stock tires are a joke; they wore out at 26K miles. But its fun to drive.... I just wish we it was better built

Auto-stop feature, IMA information display, USB audio input, stability control.

Better build quality. I know its a hybrid and the components need to be light weight to keep the scales from tipping but at least make it last 10 years without mechanical problems.

Love my Insight but not unconditionally!
By tutusue

14 months/4000 miles!
After a lifetime of German cars and much research I decided on the Insight, my first hybrid, and I don't regret that decision for a minute. My driving is probably 90% city and, of that, 95% is flat terrain. The only regular incline is the first 50' of my condo's parking garage entrance. My mpg pales in comparison to others and
averages a little under 35. However, my previous car averaged about 15 so I feel I'm still way ahead of the game! Yes, the "get up 'n go" got up and went but that's part of the hybrid/higher mpg experience. I'm not picky about handling as long as the car feels safe and, for me, the Insight does. I'll re-up at the end of my lease!

fun to drive... mileage... no more "sticker shock" at the gas pump... the video game experience!... auto stop (even in a tropical climate!)... eco assist... drivers seat; lumber support hits me in exactly the right place... A/C... USB connection/easy iPod usage... fold down rear seats... low maintenance... ESC (the reason I chose the EX over the LX)

Speedometer location (biggest negative for me); it's completely obscured by the steering wheel and I can't adjust the seat high enough or low enough to see it. It should be located within the display... Major blind spots to the rear... Front cup holder location (cups easily hit the bottom of the dashboard which causes them to tilt forward)... Center console too short to comfortably rest arm... Wishes: sunroof more color choices

After 9 months and 12,000 miles
By egadbois

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The first 6 months I drove with the Econ engaged and never got more than about 52 mpg and no less than 48 mpg. I decided to turn off the Econ mode and drive normally. I have always been a very heavy user of cruise control. That and the fact that this is a small town with few lights, I am now getting 54 mpg without trying very hard. The Dunlap tires ride a bit harsh and the road noise is more than normal for a Honda. After two long trips I have found the seats to be very comfortable. I have no complaints with the sound system and use the USB port to plug in a flash memory stick with all my favorite music.

The fuel tank holds about 10 gallons and the gas gauge is so accurate that you can project the number of gallons used. The automatic temperature control does such a great job that you rarely need to change it. The cruise control will stay within one mph of the set speed when not in Econ mode. I like the placement of the instruments such as the digital speed and turn signals better than any car I have owned (about 40 in my 64 years as a licensed driver).

Occasionally the car will pulse on acceleration which I understand has been fixed on 2011s. The brakes are not consistent when the electric motor comes on to act as a generator and help braking. I would gladly give up a few mpg for a softer ride and less road noise from the tires.

Nice car
By jett456

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am liking this car more as the gas prices go up.
I get decent mileage.
Around 45-50 on the highway, 36-40 city.
Cruise control seems to use up more gas in my opinion.
I've had no problems with the battery as some reviews have mentioned.
My navigation disc is outdated.
For some reason I have a 2007 version in my car.
Honda offered to split the cost with me.
It should be free for all the money the navigation system cost!!
The front passenger seat is uncomfortable for a large person.
This is a leased car but I think I will go with a larger car when the lease is up.

The computer, gps, and ipod radio with the controls on steering wheel. The good gas mileage which is why I got the car.

More headroom and a roomier trunk. Better gas mileage.

I really love my Insight!!
By svrider1

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It gets great gas mileage. I average about 45 mpg (mostly city driving) but if you are willing to drive a little slower it could be better. I also live in Florida and constantly use a/c which effects your fuel economy. Interior ergonomics are nice and futuristic looking, with seemingly very good build quality. Seats are really comfy with super-soft fabric!

Seats! Eco-assist which coaches you to drive efficiently really works. Nice styling. Typical Honda quality, very solidly built, even fun to drive. 45+mpg with $6 a gas on the way...

Hybrid system not as refined as the Prius and doesn't get quite as good mpg, it gets the job done, but not as smooth, and has no EV mode. That said, it is much cheaper and still a great car. Also A/c shuts off when in eco mode at a stop (when engine stops).