Used 2010 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews - 200 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Honda Insight

View reviews for a specific Insight model:

I love my Insight!
By Wizard

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I decided to look at hybrids when my old SUV qualified under the Cash for Clunkers program. I was attracted primarily to the Insight because of its sportier design by comparison to other hybrids I looked at. Any improvement in mileage was a leap forward from my SUV so super duper gas mileage wasn't my primary goal. I just wanted a vehicle kinder to the environment. My mpg almost exactly matched the advertised mpg of 41 city and 43 highway until I got interested in hypermiling techniques about four months ago. I'm now consistently getting 48-51 mpg (and rising) with my daily in-town commute. I've been astounded how a few minor changes in my driving habits have made so much difference.

Sporty look, smooth ride, easy to drive, helpful data available with Multi-Information Display which continues to help me improve my gas mileage.

Sun visors deep enough to completely hold up my sunshade (I live in the southwest and use a front window shade regularly)--and better marketing. Honda needs to brag more about this vehicle! And I miss the sunroof I had on my SUV.

Clear Choice for Commuter
By Chevy2Honda

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was driving Chevy Suburban daily for the last several years. With a recent job change, I was spending close to $500 in gas every month. That had to stop. After reading reviews on Prius and Insight, it was pretty clear that I needed Insight. Bought EX model in the middle of June 2010, and I have no regret at all and love driving it. My weekly gas bill is mere $20. Even with my monthly lease payment, I am spending less money every month. The quality is great, and the console is well thought out.

The paddle shifter for manual mode. Auto climate control

The placement of the 12VDC outlet is right in the way of the cup holder. I can't put two cups there, and charge my cell phone at the same time. The seat adjustments - because there is no tilt adjustment and I feel like I am scrunched, hurts my back and my hip.

Good, but not without its flaws
By Michael B

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Insight looks great (nicer than the Prius in my opinion), generally drives well, and gets excellent fuel mileage at a cheap price. I've only been driving it for 300 miles (roughly 40%/60% city/highway) and it has already topped 42 mpg and is still climbing. It's an extremely quiet car unless you floor it (and even then...); I'm not sure why noise is such a common complaint. Overall, I am very satisfied. However, there are a number of annoyances: Auto-stop. Stop and go for any period of time will make you wish you could turn it off. You can't. Accelerating from 0 to 10 is *very* jerky. Above 10 mph it's fine. Again, awful in stop and go traffic. The hatch creates a rear blind spot.

Very efficient, looks good, usually fun to drive, quiet under normal driving, teaches you how to drive efficiently, cheap for a hybrid.

Stability control on the LX (glaring safety omission). Sacrifice a bit of drag and eliminate the blind spot in the back: safety > efficiency. Allow the driver to disable auto-stop. Make the steering tighter (relative to my prior car it understeers). Do something about the jerkiness at low speeds.

Fun to drive, good handling in snow
By Galileo

2010 Honda Insight EX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Looked at a lot of different cars like Altima, Civic, 2010 Prius, Cube, Fit, xB and finally picked the Insight. It was dealer's first Insight and got an okay deal on it with accessories. We had a snowy season here in Oklahoma and this car handled it like a dream. I can get through when most cars can't. Can't beat the value and the car is still hassle free and only maintenance I did is oil change. No squeaks like my old 06 VW Passat when hot or cold. This is my first Honda and far exceed my expectation.

Green and Blue economy LED on dashboard. Fuel Economy. Light Plastic used. Uniqueness on the road (for now)

Market it better Honda! Sun/Moonroof would be nice. Better screen on standard audio system.

60 MPG Except for hills of course
By Phil

2010 Honda Insight LX 4dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So far so good! The vehicle was made for A to B commute on level ground. Much more affordable vs Prius! The best is 63 mpg driving from Anh. to Santa Monica for work. You need to follow the path of the ground on the highway, coast up hills, lightly accelerate down hills. Freeways tend to do this with the grading for water run off. I have been really surprised how reviewers don't figure this out and report it in the review. Who else is getting 60 mpg for 19k. NOBODY! The only con is big hills, the Insight dies real quick with limited power. After stopping, and going again up hill it goes to charge mode, then kicks into help mode. Why? But, remember it's not for climbing hills.

Driving 50+ miles one way to work, 110 round trip, 550 a week, and filling the tank up once! Once a week! That's right! Once for $30 bucks. Can't wait to start my new job only 10 miles from work, gas will last all month!!

Include the center arm rest you cheap guys over at Honda! Its alright . Have gotten used to it now. And Honda. Really get a better ad campaign! I could do so much better! No one even knows about it. Not to mention getting 60 mpg! Why doesn't anyone mention that. Even the reviews don't know?