Used 2013 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

This car is Garbage
By Tom T

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Do not buy this car the battery is smaller than a lawn mower battery and does not hold up the dealer and maker give you the run around it has a poor design and the do not back the car it is a joke

Third review for my Labrador Retriever's car
By My Labrador Retriever's Car

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third and final review for the Honda Fit. After letting the car basically sit for 6 months, the car was traded in order to get rid of it. About two months later, I did receive a call from Honda concerning the air bag defect. They assigned a case manager. I told them that they were too late. A formal complaint was filed with regulators. After Honda sent me the letter stating the drivers airbag was not safe and to not drive the car, this situation started. By the time I got rid of the Fit, no airbag was available still. No rental car was ever offered. I will state this again - Honda has lost my business forever. The car that was supposed to be cheap, reliable transportation for me and my dog but was the exact opposite. Honda cost me money, time and violated my trust. Never again. I purchased a different brand minivan to replace the Fit. My dog is very glad to be riding in a safer, larger, nicer vehicle. I do regret not suing Honda for the loss and their lies. Very glad the Fit is gone now. No longer angry at the Dealer, but they are part to blame too. One lesson learned is that if you live in a town that only has one dealer for that particular brand of vehicle, one might think about looking else ware. I do believe that lack of competition was part of the problem. On my end, I waited too long to challenge Honda about the situation and should have jumped on it after my first visit to the dealer soon after receiving the recall. By the time I escalated the situation, I was pretty upset at over 6 months of nothing but lip service. On the positive side about the car, I really liked the simplistic engine layout and felt the car would serve its purpose well prior to the airbag run-around. I still find it hard to believe that Honda would send a letter that shifted all legal liability of driving that car to me, then had no fix for the problem even 6-9 months later, then violated their own policy by never offering me a rental car.

Nothing impressive, but it gets the job done.
By John

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle for the cargo space and for its bare bones nature. I bought a Honda for their "legendary" quality in the small car market. Maintenance for this vehicle has only entailed routine oil changes and 1 set of tires at this point, but this vehicle is barely broken in at 29,000 miles. Should be noted, another reviewer commented on having to replace the A/C in their Fit before 30,000 miles. I am currently replacing my A/C compressor in my '11 Civic with 59,000. This could become a theme with Honda as this is far to early to be replacing these parts.

My main problem with this vehicle is fuel economy. I expect 35 - 43 mpg in a small vehicle like this. When SUV's are starting to get over 30 mpg, a small vehicle like this should be pushing 40 mpg, but it doesn't. I use only ethanol free fuel, as there is a slightly better bump in fuel economy, but I still won't get better then 34 to 36 mpg on my daily commute (mostly highway at 60 MPH). I should note that this is while driving like a grandpa and utilizing as much drafting and coasting as possible. On long drives (upwards of 2 hrs) I have obtained 42.1 mpg while traveling between 55 and 60. This car will drink fuel at speeds exceeding 65 mph. MPG drops drastically during the winter, I'm sure it is due to the quality of fuel and the cold temps in NY, but I tend to average 29 to 32 mpg.

Acceleration is just plain poor. Don't expect to pass a slower vehicle on a 1 lane road at 55 mph, unless, of course, you have a mile to do it. I haven't driven the newer 130 hp Fit (2016), but I have to imagine that the additional 13hp makes a huge difference.

HONDA PAINT SUCKS!! I have a 2011 Civic and 2013 Fit. The civic is color blk and the front of it looks sand blasted. The Fit (red) has stood up better, but I have made it my mission to protect it. I will leave large gaps between me and the car in front. Still, with these vehicles, the paint chips every time a small object hits it. I have read countless reviews where people complain about this. BEWARE: HONDA PAINT

Greatest feature(s) is the average fuel economy display. I still calculate manually with each fill up, but it is nice to have an idea of how your doing. It has caused me to drive much slower in a continuing effort to beat my "high score". I also like the windows as you have almost zero blind spots. I call this vehicle the fish bowl because you have more window than car.

Nothing impressive about this vehicle. I had the arm rest installed in mine and switched out all the lights, except headlights, for cree LED lights solely because the out dated incandescent draws too much power and lacks the brightness. The heater during the winter will take 10 minutes to warm up, so I am usually close to reaching my destination before I have substantial heat.

I installed a trailer hitch on mine and pull a small 4' x 8' trailer from time to time to the hardware store. This makes the vehicle incredibly more useful.

Some reviewers have commented about sway while operating in windy conditions. This vehicle will travel wherever the wind blows. It is a constant fight to keep it straight, which should be obvious due to the bubble design and light weight.

Snow handling is great. I drive in NY state's snow belt and I'm often fighting icy/snowy roads. The stock, narrow, wheel rims give you excellent traction. I haven't needed snow tires as an all season has worked just fine up to this point. One down side is your road clearance. I often bottom out on snowy roads and always risk the possibility of getting stuck.

Car seats are difficulty to get in the vehicle and deal with, but this tends to be the case with all compacts and sub compact cars.

Not impressed
By Megan M

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car because of the advertised gas mileage and we wanted a reliable family vehicle. We chose Honda because they are a reliable company and Honda resale value holds up really well. Overall the car is a great point A to point B car. We bought our car brand new with 15 miles on it. It drives smooth and has a surprising get up and go. It's also idles incredibly quiet. When I first got the car the only way I knew it was on, was by looking at the ignition! The most I've ever spent on a full tank of gas has been $25. It's usually only about $10 for 3/4 tank. My husband is a mechanic and does the oil changes at his shop so I'm not sure exactly how expensive maintenance fees are. We have not had to make any mechanical repairs at all. The car has 30k miles on it and it still runs really well.

However there are some major flaws in the design. Just 1 year after our purchase we realized there were chips all over the hood and front side of the paint. So we repainted it. But again there are more chinks. It doesn't matter how closely I follow someone, the paint is just poor quality. Also, you can't hit even the smallest pothole or you will have to replace a rim. My rims are dented all the way around. The stock tires were so poor that they only lasted 6 months before being replaced. And even our replacement tires are horrible on any form of precipitation including rain. I also have a young son so I have a car seat in the backseat. I have to move the front passenger seat all the way up to allow him in and out of the car. So it makes having extra passengers almost impossible because whoever sits up front has to have an up close and personal relationship with the dash board. Also, the backseat has headrests that fold all the way down over the seat. It's incredibly uncomfortable for anyone sitting in the back seat without pulling it all the way up. And if they leave the headrest up it causes a major blind spot for the driver out of the back window. In the winter don't even try to use just the heat setting. Your windows will fog in 2 minutes. You have to use the defrost setting only for cold weather. Which is fine except when you're behind a stinky truck or you want to recycle your air instead of inhaling fumes. The cup holders up front are impossible if you have a cup bigger than a 12 oz. You have to pull your cup carefully out at an angle to avoid crushing or spilling your drink. The option of using your ipod through the second glove box is wonderful but if you have more than 100 artists on your ipod you're going to spend 10 min scrolling through artists until you find the one you want. It doesn't allow for playing by genre and it doesn't read all of your playlists. Even the max volume is comparatively low. We also had to replace our wiper blades within the first year because they were so poor.

Overall this is a good car. But I don't recommend it as a family car. This is perfect for someone to drive to and from work only. It's great for long distance drives. Maintenance oil changes don't happen as frequently as they do with other cars. Gas cost is incredibly low. But if you're looking for comfort look elsewhere.

I wanted to like this car
By Nicole

2013 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did extensive research on the Honda Fit and test drove the 2016, 2015 and 2013 models before purchasing a 2013 Honda Fit Sport. At 5'11.5, I knew a small car didn't appear to fit my frame, but as a long time driver of other subcompact cars I wasn't worried. After 3 weeks of driving, I developed moderate back pain. It doesn't help that the car handles poorly and gets blown around by the wind. I seriously regret buying this car and am planning to loss several thousand dollars to sale my car and get another car. The gas mileage is good, but my health and comfort is not worth.