Used 2012 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Great Little Car!
By frozentundram

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Fit for almost 2yrs and love. Get about 25mpg city and high 30's on the road. My wife is more of a lead foot, so she gets about 2-3 mpg less. I installed a K & N air filter to help it breathe a bit better, otherwise all stock.

Make sure you use a Top Tier gas as Honda recommends and you'll have no problems. Don't have to use anything but regular, but make sure it is Top Tier. I've known some that have used really cheap quality gas, and have had problems.

Yes, this vehicle won't ride like a Lexus or Cadillac, but suits my needs fine. I also use a synthetic oil (Mobil 1) since the first oil change. The carpet is on the cheap side, had it replaced once due to wear, it's wearing out again around the driver's heel pad.

Wow, the engine
By lateshift32

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I went from a 2010 Scion XD with a 1.8 to this 1.5.
I hate the engine.
I seems that it is in 2.5 to 3 rpms most of the time.
The engine is very loud.
I didn't realize that I would miss an engine or that it would even be a big deal.
The combined mpg of my Scion ended up being 36.5 on a regular basis.
I get 30.1 in the Fit and terribly upset.
Furthermore, I just went to go try to trade it in, only having it for two months and they said I am already upside down and never have any hope of overturning my situation but they could offer me a 30,000 car.
PS don't buy a bunch of warranties, it makes it hard to get your next loan!
Lessen learned, horrible!

space, versitility

Get a bigger engine in it. That's my main complaint, that any the mpg aren't that great for the price.

Nice car, pricey, terrible gas millage for the segment.
By famercado

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is a good and reliable car, with lots of security features, comfortable for its size, looks very good inside and outside (especially steering wheel and rims), reliable and well assembled. I use it to commute from my home to the metro station, and for that purpose is fantastic. On the weekends we use my wife’s car which is more spacious. The gas millage is horrible for a compact car and considering the price and the trim (sport) it is way under equipped. It is very pricey compared to other brand’s similar cars.

It’s a Honda! Reliability and resell value of Toyotas and Hondas are undeniable. It's made in Japan. Looks nice from outside. The dashboard is very nice. The steering wheel is very good looking and sporty. The breaks are fantastic, even though the rear ones are just drums. Security systems (abs, stability, airbags) seem to be very good. Being 6”2’ tall I fit in the Fit. The paddle shifters are something to brag about with your friends. The rims are really good looking. The visibility is great. Audio system and IPod capability are great.

Gas millage is terrible, larger cars do much better. I’m easy on the gas and get 28.59 MPG. You go into a highway and you can hear the hamsters in the hood working the life out of their bodies spinning their wheels but the car hardly moves. You need to hit the gas hard to move like a normal car and then get the MPG of a SUV. The automatic transmission shifts are very poorly synchronized. The engine and the interior are noisy. It doesn’t display the outside temperature, have Bluetooth, automatic headlights or lumbar support. No button to release the 5th door (trunk) on key. The back windshield wiper and water sprinklers are not very good. No ignition button, no light for the ignition.

2nd Fit purchased new
By heffelz8

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The wife and myself owned a 2008 Fit while living abroad in Europe.
When we moved back to the States, we purchased another Fit.
For a compact car, Honda really managed to cram a whole lot into this vehicle without making it seem over-done.
Fit and finish is quite nice, along with the overall design.
This car works, it's practical, very lively to drive (with the stick) and very fuel efficient 36 highway and 33 in town.
I am 6'6" 210 lbs and fit very very well in this car.
My knees don't hit anything on the way in or out.
Loading height is great whether you're 5'2, like my wife, or my size.
I would buy a 3rd fit if I ever felt so inclined to get another family member in one.

Practical space, fold down (magic) seat, leg room, fuel efficiency (34.7 combined), Large windows, great sight angles, ease of operation.

Seat height adjuster. It's just a we-bit short for my wife. That's it.

MPG Disappointment
By livinglarge2

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Honda Fit since the middle of July 12.
I have put 6,000 miles on my car..mostly highway miles.

I'm wondering if the manufacturer misrepresented the MPG advertised.
I drive the car to work...which is mixed highway and city with 20mpg if I'm lucky.
I have driven this car on long trips and can't seem to get the MPG over 32.
This is with speeds below 60mph.
I'm wondering if Honda came up with their MPG figures based on an anorexic driving this car without as much as a 5lb purse on board.
I got 37 MPG on the way home from the dealership, but haven't seen it since.
Perhaps the dealer used Premium gas?
I can't duplicate the mileage.
I should have bought the PRIUS.

I would suggest to Honda that they put in a console or at least an arm rest for the driver's seat. A little more power would have made the drive a lot more fun.