Used 2012 Honda Fit Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Fit

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

The car to buy if you want a low maintenance car
By Derek M

2012 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This car is overall designed well, but is by no means a feature vehicle. It's front wheel drive, is peppy but not at all fast, has 185 width stock tires (so you're not going to scream around corners), and the paint quality is atrocious. Expect every single dent, scratch, etc. to show up visibly on the paint. I have the silver paint, and almost anything will chip the thin paint or scratch it. The stock shocks and struts are a joke. After driving it for about a year or two, they give way to serious body lean that makes braking hard dangerous. I swapped out the crappy stock shocks and struts with Eibach and Tien, which are stiffer, but corrects the unnecessary body lean and shortens the stopping distance much more. I also upgraded from 185 width tires to 195 width to add more stability because 185 width are just junk. The tire pressure on the 185 kept getting low, even with new tires. So I just changed to 195 width and the tire pressure holds far better now. I believe you can add 205 or possibly 215 width max on the Fit. There are a good amount of light bulbs, with 8 to maintain in the front and the back lights as well. You are able to replace these all yourself, you can find videos online that will show how to do so (pretty similar to older acura/honda). The manual says to only run 87 gas, running 91 I saw no difference in performance whatsoever. This car takes only synthetic oil, and recommends only using top tier gas (no unbranded/generic mom and pop shops). My car began to pronounce the exhaust pretty loudly, and it sounds like I put a modified exhaust on my car even though the entire intake/mid/exhaust setup is stock (I don't know if other people experience this, it's an automatic). The electronic controls performance and design is excellent, everything is very intelligently engineered and I have had no problems. The USB connection is in the top glove compartment (the bottom one is the regular glove compartment), and I just put MP3 music on a flash drive and it's out of sight out of mind. The car has an audio jack input, but be careful because the rubber piece that protects it very easily comes off. Also, when maintaining the air filter, there is a solid attachment in the front with small clips on the side. The small clips on the side are prone to breaking, so be careful. I am 6'2" and am able to sit in the front seat fine. The backseat can hold adults, but the recommended total weight to have in the car is only about 850lbs. The major positives of the vehicle are that it is an easy to drive vehicle, there are a good amount of cupholders in the front and in the back, the interior volume space is massive for the vehicle size, the visibility from the inside is great, and that reliability on the engine/transmission and electronics is excellent. I bought my 2012 Fit in 2011 and haven't had to perform a single repair for anything, just purely maintenance and optional upgrades. This is a putt putt for getting around with some pep and good gas mileage, but it's no Corvette or Prius. A well designed (overall) low maintenance ride.

Poor Paint
By Daniel L.

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

Rear shocks were replaced at 24000 miles, tires had normal wear at 24000 miles. However , every tire was splitting apart at the second tread in. The paint on this car was the worst paint of the eight new cars I have owned. The paint chipping was primary on the hood but was not limited to the front of the car. Seen very few fits with this problem but the few I have seen were older and had premature surface rusting. This does not stop the car from getting great gas mileage or getting you from A to B comfortable but will have a great effect on your resale value. For this reason the car was traded in with only 27000 mile and rated low. Traded in on Nissan Altima and have never regretted it. Before buying a Fit test drive an Accord, Camry or Altima. You will get more bang for your bucks!!

It goes and goes and goes
By gleggley

2012 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in August of 2012. I am a courier and drive over 1000 miles a week. As of today, 4/5/15, I have about 139,000 miles on my Fit. I have always done the recommended service and have only had one issue since purchasing this car. A front wheel bearing needed replacing a few months ago. I average 30-35 miles a gallon in mixed driving. Power is adequate for what I do. This is the first Honda I've ever owned. The Fit has an amazing capacity to haul things. I am consistently amazed at how much "stuff" fits in the car.

Every inch is utilized in and out of the car. Turning radius is excellent. Love the iPod integrating with the stereo.

Front pillars block the view somewhat. I am used to it now, but it took a bit before I felt comfortable.

Great hatchback, perfect car
By fitnc

2012 Honda Fit Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 2 years now. It's best habit is the city and the burbs. I use mine for work and it's great for piling full of equipment and also the occasional creature that needs a ride. On the weekends it can haul camping gear or stuff from home depot. It's not a -powerful- car, but the engine is capable if you gear it properly, the engine needs to kept in it's proper power band, the paddles help do that. It is a very lively driving experience, but remember to gear down to 4/3 to have enough torque so you don't get stuck, ex merging/passing, etc. The hatch is the perfect height to keep me dry when rooting through the cargo area, I'm 5-11 and I fit.

Magic seats, paddle shifters, hatch rain protection, glove boxes, cup holders. The dashboard is a vast plateau, I use it occasionally to dry wet clothes from camping, biking, etc. This car is cavernous compared to the 93 nissan altima it replaced, plus it leaves an extra foot of space in my garage, so I can close the garage door with a bike rack attached, but not with the bike on. Not a favorite feature really, but this car has 10 windows!!

I wish the power outlet stayed energized so my phone can charge without leaving the key in the acc position. Lighten up the interior, everything is black, black floor mats always look dirty. Tracking on the highway is iffy, it's very responsive in the city but this make the car a bit nervous at highway speeds. Give it the SI engine!!!!! Add a center console with armrest, this is the first thing I bought from college hills honda, a center storage with padded/pivoting armrest. Windshield wiper intervals are weird, there need to be more intervals. The fog lights are not strong enough, 1 of them broke within 6 months from road debris. Sun visors don't provide enough coverage.

The perfect small car
By tommyone1

2012 Honda Fit 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Flawless reliability 3 years in. Not sure why some people get disappointing MPG. Maybe they drive like a maniac, have upgraded to wide tires, and carry a lot of weight... I get an avg of 39 MPG from this awesome car! The manual trany shifting and the clutch are both super light and easy and smooth. But I'd prefer a lower ratio for 5th gear so not to waste gas when going over 70 (and to quiet the engine) The interior loudness is less than in previous years. The cargo space is incredible, including under the rear seats. The gas tank being under the front seat means you can't adjust height, but I'm now happier sitting higher than I used to--better visibility, except the wide front left pillar

easy shifting cargo room great MPG fun to drive and can accelerate well (as long as you get the manual transmission)

lower gear ratio for 5th gear location of USB audio-in cable narrower front pillars