Used 2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 194 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fit model:

Fun & Practical, but...
By joshnbecki

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is a cute, practical little car, but it seems to make a lot of compromises. I would expect a little better milage from the small, overly busy engine. The ride is rough with the Sport setup, harsh even, though this means it has GREAT handling...that the power can't live up to. Just another 20-30 hp would do the trick & more match the MPG. NEVER take it on a long drive--don't even think about it. The constant engine whine and wimpy attempts to get up hills, combined with supportive but rigid and uncomfortable seats, made worse by peddle position, will drive you NUTS.

We love the gauges--Honda could give every other car maker lessons. Ergonomics are great! SO flexible--flopping down the seats gives oodles of room. Very reliable. The handling is nothing short of amazing for such a tall car.

This car needs a little more power--not much, but a little, so it can get out of its own way. Honda needs to seriously rethink the peddle position--it is the most uncomfortable angle I've ever seen in a car. The seats aren't particularly comfortable--best for short rides around town, which is where this car needs to stay.

Junk
By bbb15

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing about this car lives up to the hype.
It shakes over 60mph, the clutch is horrible, and everything in the interior rattles while I drive.
It feels cheap and is incredibly uncomfortable to drive.
I've owned $500 cars that were far better.
I very much regret buying this car.

None

Clutch. Road noise. Engine shakes at high speed.

Great if you only drive in the city
By lucarescigno

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Fit new in 2008. At the time, I loved it. Since then, its various issues have worn down my support for the vehicle. Now I'm considering selling it even though it's still pretty new. The ride quality and road noise are getting to me, and the car lacks certain basic amenities like cruise control (my fault for getting the base model), adjustable intermittent length for the front wipers (that's right, it's every 4 seconds or nothing), and any intermittent setting for the rear wiper (it's either on or off).

Handling is excellent. Super sharp and responsive. I can feel the road so much better than in most cars. Pedal response is sharp and responsive as well. Parking is extremely easy with such a small car. There's tons of cargo space for a car this size and the seat configurations are useful. Headlights are very good and gauges are easy to read.

The ride quality is bad. You will be bounced around constantly. Road noise is like riding in an airplane beyond 50 mph. The AC works, but it's weak. Gas mileage is not bad, but it's not as good as you'd expect for such a small car. Not worth the trade off in size and comfort. I think one of the biggest problems is that the highest gear just isn't tall enough - the engine revs like mad above 55 mph. The driving position is bad too - the pedals are too close but the steering wheel is too far away. Think of this as more like a Smart car. Fine for the city, AVOID if you use highways.

clutch
By disapointed7

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had only 32 thousand miles and clutch went.
My old hundai accent had 250 th on origional clutch. I do mostly highway driving.

Dealership led me to believe it was a defect and would cost me nothing
instead it cost well over a thousand dollars.
Will never own another. Next car with be Hundai.
The most reliable car I have ever owned.
The accent had only a need for brakes, and tuneups.
Had orgional stareter alternator tailpipe and muffler after 8 years and 250000 miles.

I like the fit more than my old Civic
By ctscream

2008 Honda Fit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5A)

When my 1999 Civic was stolen and would have cost too much money to repair I was heartbroken. I didn't have much money at the time and couldn't afford to buy a new Civic (and the new ones didn't appeal to me) so I started looking at more affordable cars but really didn't want anything but a Honda. The Fit was a perfect match for me. What made me attracted to it was the hatchback and extra trunk space because I barely ever have passengers. When I had the Civic it was always a pain to fit things in the trunk and fold the seats down with only 2 doors. It felt cramped especially with passengers in the back seat.

Lots of cargo space, easy to fold seats, simple but quirky exterior shape, tight turning radius, fits in small parking spaces, great visibility out of all windows, defrosts and heats up quickly, tire pressure gauge, has a lot of pep, nice interior colors, extra protection with the ignition lock. The best part... nobody wants to steal a Honda Fit!

I wish the carpet materials were more durable and stood up to wear and dirt better. My car is in pretty good shape but the dirt get stuck in the felt floor and is impossible to get out. Also the back of the back seats aren't really durable for a spot where you may put down a lot of cargo... everything gets stuck in the fibers. I wish the front drivers seat had a tilt option. My biggest criticism is for the newer Fits, they totally ruined the body shape in my opinion... too curvy and too much going on visually on the exterior and interior to the point where I might not want to buy a Fit in the future.