Used 2005 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews - 302 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

The Element is just OK
By rubio1010

2005 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my dogs. I bought it for all of my activities. It's just OK. Driving is fine, not fun, just fine. Take every turn slowly as stuff slides back and forth over the entire plastic interior easily. This is not a "Dog Car." The rocking back and forth and sliding makes them car sick. Cleaning is not nearly as easy as it sounds. "Hosing it out" is not an option. Comfort? On short drives, less than 100 miles, it's ok. Anything longer and the plastic seats get stiff and sticky. I've had two windshields replaced from highway pebbles. That's annoying. The two reverse doors are awkward for passengers in the rear, and getting in and out of the back seats is very awkward.

Simplicity. That's why I bought it. No bells and whistles.

Make it comfortable with new seats. Put some insulation or something in the doors so they don't sound so cheap and "Tinny." Some rubberized surfaces, like the cargo floor area, would be nice. The mats don't work, and just slide over the floor. Configure the rear doors differently so exit is not odd.

2005 Honda element best vehicle ever..
By HondaBaxter

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle drives so smooth for an SUV, it handles so well around turns. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is so good on gas to have all the room it has.

AWD, Wheels, Great A/C, the room inside.

Honda did a great job on this one. Keep up the good work.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Copywrites

2005 Honda Element SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

If you are expecting perceived Honda quality, you will be very disappointed in the Element. It will start at about 3000 miles when your rear brakes will start grinding, Then at about 20,000 they will literally explode. Make sure you are always near a repair shop. At 45,000 miles you will need a new manual transmission because yours will pop out of gear at low speeds and require two hands to shift it into 1st or 2nd gear. Have no idea what to expect at 50K because I'm dumping it at 48K. Goodbye to the worst built car I have ever owned. (I have owned more than 30 cars BTW)

Holds a bike standing up.

Fix your defective rear brake design! Fix your fragile transmission and add a 6th gear!.

Awesome vehicle
By Gary P

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. I had always thought I wanted one, but it was not until I drove it that I had to have it! I think it is the most comfortable seats and I drive all over the country on long trips of more than 10 hours at a stretch. If you go from an American van to this, you will be in heaven! The only knock is the gas mileage, too many stops to refill. I do get in the twenties, generally 300 miles on a tank full, but I have run it to 360 miles. My ACN business keeps me on the road, and I practically live out of it.

ROOM, Seats, stereo system, maintenance easy

Better gas mileage, 6th gear is a great suggestion.

Rocks!!!!!
By DownUnder

2005 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for 5 years and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. 125,000+ miles and the only think I ever have to do is oil changes, tire rotation, and 1 set of new tires and brakes. VERY, VERY reliable and goes great in snow.

Versatility and suicide doors. I am in a wheelchair and at 6'3" I still have plenty of leg room for my hand controls and plenty of room to put my wheelchair behind my drives seat.

Better gas mileage, but still worth the fun driving of this vehicle!