Used 2004 Honda Element Consumer Reviews - 442 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Element

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Love This Thing!
By kminimax

2004 Honda Element EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We just purchased this vehicle as our primary vehicle. We love it. My husband is 6'3" and has more than adequate room for him and our growing son without kicking the backs of the seats anymore. Now neither of them are eating their knees anymore like in our old sedan. I certainly would like to buy another one!

Easy to clean, fun to drive, great amounts of room!

The suicide doors could be a little easier to access but they are still fun

Nice but Not for Sasquatch
By QMSmitty

2004 Honda Element LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought ours as a 2 yr old model with 26K miles. I named it The Earl-ament. We bought in preparing to have a more baby friendly car, that has some ground clearance in case of high water. We are very pleased with the vehicle. We wish we could find a slightly larger vehicle with the rest of the features that would help accommodate the stuff two little boys.

Easy to clean interior. Fold up/lay down seats for more cargo space.

Steering wheel won't allow my over 6 ft frame (Sasquatch) to read the speedometer unless I peek under the steering wheel. Rear doors that could swing around closer to 180 degrees, instead of 90. Small parking spaces are difficult to load baby in the back. Center Console (Like the SC)

Satisfaction Guaranteed
By Mehgan

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I saw it I hated the color and thought it was the ugliest vehicle ever, then I drove it! It has so much room, it handles so smoothly, it drives so nicely! I love the way the seats fold up, the wipe-down surfaces, everything! I haven't ever loved a vehicle until I bought my Element, it's incredible!

Unique design (interior and exterior), interior room and comfort.

Maybe an extra a/c outlet and moving the aux outlet in the middle console for easier access for the driver!

Does Everything I Want!
By Kat.K.

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Don't care that it's a "box on wheels". This vehicle has been entirely functional and reliable since the day I bought it new. Honda's maintenance schedule is spartan. Get your oil changed and keep on truckin'. I use it for my odd jobs around the village (painter, interior decorating, etc, with ladder!). The interior is virtually indestructable. I can't count how many times I've had the back seats either layed flat, flipped up against the side walls, or completely taken out. Many a bag of mulch, dirt, or flats of flowers have made their way home in this fashion. Very well made, very decent gas mileage. Turns and parks on a dime. You oughta see the cool cabana tent accessory also.

Super-easy cargo loading and unloading with the clamshell doors. Versatile back seat configurations. Rugged but comfortable interior. Stable road feel and handling. Quality components and accessories. Reliability.

Sun roof in front instead of in rear.

Mixed feelings about the Element....
By Element_Owner

2004 Honda Element EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Element handles nicely through curvy mountain roads. The AWD performs well in Winter conditions, but the undercarriage is low-slung, allowing little clearance. Predictable braking. Minimalist interior is quite functional, nicely ergodynamic, and easy to care for. Seats are firm, yet comfortable. At 22-24mpg, fuel economy is average at best. My girlfriend's Element shifts smoothly - mine does not- her Element brakes responsively -mine does not. Loud, squeaky rear suspension. DRL headlights remain "on" during engine starts, making cold weather starts a challenge - or even impossible. Reliability has been abysmal. Radiator self-destruction. Heater trouble. Charging system problem.

The boxy form of the Element enables it to accomodate an amazing array of stuff. Mountain bikes stand upright. Two people can sleep lengthwise on it's flat vinyl floor. Firewood one day, four skiers and gear the next.

Fuel tank needs skid plate. Do not buy an Element with DRL. Interior needs tie-down hooks on ceiling, floor walls and tailgate. Tailgate needs an inside door latch lever. (Must exit through driver/pax door.) If you buy a new Element, watch out for Honda's very short vehicle warranty.