Used 2003 Honda Element SUV Consumer Reviews - 501 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Element SUV

View reviews for a specific Element model:

Practicality Rules--DO NOT IMPROVE
By MrH

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the design, the economical materials, the cool looks, the quick handling, the adequate power, the acceptable fuel mileage, the adequate acceleration, and the big windows . This is one heck of a vehicle--there is nothing else like it. It is (relatively) cheap, the design is way cool, the practicality is unmatched by anything short of a pickup, and it will haul four passengers.

Seat height, windows, handling, power, cargo space, rear access, color, silver and black

Seating for FIVE

'03 Element
By JH

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Pretty much solid mechanically, although recently had a $900+ starter replacement. However, a squeaking suspension (even after new shocks), loose sun visors that won't stay tightened, a frozen passenger lock that Honda won't replace since it didn't begin to seize until over 60,000 miles (unlike the driver side, which was fixed for free), & map light lenses that keep falling out, are some 1st yr fit & finish issues with my 2003 Element.

Indestructible rubber floors & rugged upholstery, plus great hauling room for size of vehicle.

Tighter fit & finish in interior fixtures and better locks, & a smoother ride with less noisy suspension, although these issues have probably all been addressed in the 6 years since the Element's intro.

Takes the Fun out of Functional
By green_ghost

2003 Honda Element SUV EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my E for all the features and practicality. It's easy to maintain, easy to clean, and easy to own all around. It runs great with 70,000 miles, and maintenance has been minimal. I really love the waterproof seats and rubber floors. I get sand, mud and water in the car all the time from all the outdoor sports that I do. It's super easy to clean the car and not worry about the mess. I also love the versatility of seating, and cargo space. It's so easy to throw anything I want in the car. The E is Uber functional, just not very fun to drive. It's not fast, not sporty, doesn't handle well at high speed or in corners, but it gets me where I need to go and is reasonably comfortable.

Very nice to have plastic fenders, I can lean a bike on them without scratching paint, and I've hit a few bushes while driving off road. The plastic fenders don't show any scratches from any of this.

Better sound proofing. I hear a lot of wind noise on the freeway. A lot of wind noise. I think this was improved in later model years- I bought the first model year of the Element.

I love my Element
By Broncopam

2003 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought "Ellie" brand new and haven't regretted it one day, in fact the closer I get to pay off the more excited I am to see how many miles and years I can keep her on the road, we're only at 116,000 so far. I see us well into 250,000+. It is the most all around usable vehicle I have ever owned. It is transportation, out of the weather hauling, car camping,and a quick nap at lunchtime. She handles the snow and ice, the mountains and loves being loaded with camping gear. I see no reason to ever have any other vehicle.

Cargo space, easy to keep clean, clam shell doors. Fold up seats . Excellent turning radius. Stadium style seating in the back. Head and leg room in the back.

Somehow fix those A and B pillars blind spots. Too bad Honda just put the cooler in the 2009, it would have been great in the beginning 2003. Provide the legs to the "table" tire cover.

It's elementary, my dear Watson
By deedee

2003 Honda Element SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first car I have owned for more than 5 years. I think it's a keeper. I live in Mexico and it's the perfect vehicle for the terrain. And like all good Mexicans, you can get at least 6 adults in it - not comfortably - but none the least useful to the culture! Whenever I have it maintenanced here in Mexico, everyone at the dealership has to get inside and check it out and so do the customers - it's definitely a head turner. I had a front end accident and the Element barely had a dent while the other Nissan pickup looked like a Mack truck had hit it. Even in Mexico, Honda dealerships provide excellent service! I have a 4wd/EX Sunset Orange.

Versatility, utility, mobility, durability, reliability. And of course, the interior space and safety features have impressed me.

Better windshield design, passenger seat needs an arm rest too.