Used 2009 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Compact with a mid size feel...
By Turp

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We have driven this CRV for about 1,000 miles and taken a few trips. This design is very refined with road and wind noise very well controlled. The engine is very smooth and quiet. The typical 4 cyl rev can be heard when accelerating, but is not intrusive or loud. It has very responsive handling and power. While we have yet to do one of those "pedal to the metal" passes, the engine does allow very good pick-up with surprising torque. In comparison to the 2010 Forester, Rav4, and Venza, only the Venza beat it in ride refinement and quiet. However its 2.6 was slightly sluggish with the larger vehicle. The CRV feels more like a midsize in the passenger area than a compact.

Interior room. Ride. Performance.

The seats. The back seats are rather firm and could be a little more plush. This may improve with break-in. We went with leather because I, 5'11" 200lb+ male, could not get comfortable in the cloth model on the driver or passenger side. The leather pkg was worth the $$$$ for the increased comfort.

I love me a Honda
By dave

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After test-driving everything in the segment, I found the CRV to be the best choice for me. Very comfortable ride, lots of functionality and interior room. Good fuel economy, about 30 highway and 23 in town. Plenty of pep in town, gets right up to speed on the highway. It is very similar to the Rav4 and the current Forester. I was coming out of a Civic and I finally decided on the CRV because I am used to the feel and layout of Honda's.

Instrument panel is sweet, AWD is handy.

A V6 option would be great for those who do more towing than I do. Better padding on the ends of the armrests would be nice. I would have liked the roof rack to come standard, but I guess Honda is trying to keep the sticker price down.

I love my CR-V
By SandraK

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I was extremely hesitant about purchasing a 4 cylinder, but after 2 weeks of ownership in hilly country, there has been no problem with power. It cruises comfortably, the seats are fabulous, and there is definitely enough power to pass a car when necessary. The car is sporty and fun to drive, easy to turn, and easy to convert for large items (I brought a huge self-propelled lawnmower home in the back of the car last week). My mileage is averaging 24.5 mpg. The car is quiet and the radio/CD sounds terrific.

Love, love, love the entire car!

My only improvement recommendation to Honda would be to redesign the little window in the back. It does not aesthetically match the contour of the slope of the roof. In an artist's eye, it just doesn't do justice to the overall appearance of the car.

You Want This Vehicle
By RobertM

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I owned a 2006 Chevy Equinox and I traded up for this vehicle. I definitely traded up! The Chevy's interior left a lot to be desired and after a while I grew tired of the exterior as well. With my new CR-V I feel like I'm definitely driving in style. My main goal was to increase my mpg average without sacrificing space and comfort. I have a very large dog and thought a car might get better mileage, she would not have her own space. With the CR-V I get car style mileage and SUV style space. The perfect combination. If you're looking for that combination as well as great interior and exterior style and finish, then you've found the one to get. I've had it for two weeks now and have ZERO regrets.

Comfortable leather seats, great dual climate control, plenty of cargo space and flexibility, excellent mpg (have been averaging about 26 mpg), and stylish interior/exterior.

Stick shift might be a little more "fun" to drive. All 4 window auto up/down would be nice. A compass would be a nice finishing touch to the otherwise excellent trip computer.

A Great Alternative
By EJS

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We test drove a lot of SUV's-a lot. The sticker shock was, well, shocking. With this Honda, though too small to classify as an SUV, was exactly what we were looking for. The interior quality really sets it apart and was not seen anywhere in this price range. It is very roomy, drives exceptionally well, is quite nimble and gets good gas mileage. However, it is woefully underpowered. This "car/suv" is a great alternative to spending mid forties on another vehicle. And what's really nice, in five years this Honda will have the same trade in value as that 45K SUV we liked and almost bought.

Quality or material. It has an Excellent ride, its very tight and it has the best crash and safety rating to keep my wife safe.

It needs a bigger engine or a turbo because this is about 100 horses underpowered. 0-60 in a week.