Used 2009 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Happy Honda Owner
By klaut

2009 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Just bought my CRV last week and so far so good, I am thrilled with it! Downsized from a Dodge Caravan and not missing the extra room at all. Drives great, looks great (Tango Red) and best of all I'm loving the better gas mileage. Handles so well and the moon roof and GPS are added bonuses!

Moon roof, GPS, volume control for radio on the steering wheel, and spacious rear cargo area.

Only complaint is drop down tray console. Wish there was a storage area there.

Good Transition
By TomJ

2009 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

We had VW's for 42 years. When our local dealer closed without any notice we looked for something closer but still reliable. Reviews of the CR-v mentioned a stiff ride but we always appreciated the firmness of the VW's. Reviews mentioned the lack of massive horsepower. We were used to that. We test drove one and bought the same day. The transition from auto to SUV (CUV) was seamless.

I like the automobile feel. Although low on horsepower, the 5 speed automatic makes seamless shifts to keep the engine working where it does its best. The stiff ride and road noise is bearable because of our past vehicles being similar. If I came from an Escalade I might be disappointed.

I feel there is enough horsepower but don't see the better mileage one might expect. We average 22 mpg as conservative drivers.

AMAZING!
By hondaowner

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I just got this car a few weeks ago and I am in love. I don't know why it gets low reviews on its exterior - that's the part that attracted me to it the most. I didn't like how it looked prior to 2007, but since its remodeling the Honda CR-V is by far a lot better looking than the Rav4 and Rogue if you ask me. I love the sleek, aerodynamic exterior - beautiful. The inside is comfortable (hard seats?? I don't think so.) and I love the nighttime lighting inside. I love the CR-V's reliability and how safe I feel inside. The MPG is great...I've been averaging 22.2 on city roads. Has lots of space and I love the sunroof and tinted back windows. I pretty much am obsessed with my new car.

Nighttime blue lighting on the dashboard, sunroof, tinted back windows, large cargo area, exterior - especially the front (reminds me of the Lexus SUV), great MPG.

None for now. I've only had it for 3 weeks.

Headrest and Parking Brake Defect
By Wanda

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I admired the new CR-V body style for a couple of years before buying one. I did a test drive and mentioned to the salesman that the headrest was uncomfortable. He said not to worry, it was adjustable. After purchasing the vehicle, the dealership did not provide an overview of any of the features -- all they wanted to do was make the sale. I recently drove my CR- V on a 6 hour day trip. By the time I got there, I had a massive headache. I also had a bruise on my left leg because the parking break is placed right where I normally rest my leg. Can you say buyer's remorse? I hate this car. The headrest is not adjustable and the parking break is going to stay where it is. Back to Toyota next time.

In this case the things I dislike overpower anything positive about the car.

Fix the headrest!!!! Move the parking break as far left as possible. Check out the design for the Toyota Highlander - most comfortable car I ever had.

So far, so good
By chuckfromli

2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Picked up my CRV 10 days ago. Have about 650 miles on it, including one trip of 450 miles round trip. I have no real complaints. The vehicle appears to be very well built. The seats are not the best though. I have the leather. They are OK, but I wouldn't really recommend this vehicle for long trips. Maybe mine will get more comfortable as they get broken in. Also the leather has a very plastic look and feel to it. What can you expect, I guess, when you are only paying 26K for a new vehicle fully loaded, especially when that vehicle has AWD. I have been averaging about 19 mpg in suburban driving, and got around 26-27 mpg on my highway trip, and that was mostly around 70-80 mph. Power is fine.

XM satellite, build quality appears to be top notch. Under the hood, everything appears jewel-like. You can clearly see what is steel, what is aluminum, and much of the steel actually looks to be polished or chromed.

The leather should be better quality. Other than that, there is nothing that I've noticed yet.