Used 2006 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Like wine, it gets better with age
By sue s.

2006 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Honda CRV for over 10 years. I refuse to get a new car because there isn't anything wrong with it! I finally gave it a 10 year birthday present with a tune up, radiator flush, etc. when it hit 100,000 miles. I have had to get new brakes, struts and tires, but no major mechanical problems with it in the past 10 years. It goes in for oil changes but not much else. I will keep it until it literally falls apart. Its been and is a great car. Because its an older model, I don't have navigation tools or satellite radio, which would be nice. (but it does have a cassette player!!) I'm curious to see how many miles it will have when I do decide to trade it in on a new CRV - probably in 20 years! I have heard people say that CRVs have poor sound insulation, but its not much different than other cars from what I have observed.

Love my CRV
By c s

2006 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

just go get one!! The 2006 still have the table in the back instead of the spare tire.

One of best cars
By Odame

2006 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I know said just regular maintenance no breakdown no problem

It will get you to A to B but with headaches
By Shane B.

2006 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I own a 2006 Honda CR-V with 180,000 miles on it. So far it has been a reliable car with a lot of headaches. First off my model had the faulty airbag that, if set off could send bits of shrapnel into your neck and face causing severe injury or death. Got the recall about a year ago in 2015 and I have been driving this car for almost 10 years. So right off the bat safety wise is a no go. Thank God I did not get into an accident that would have set the airbag off. If your interested in this car MAKE sure the one you are buying has had the airbag replaced at the dealership. I say reliable as in you can drive this car into the dirt and it will still keep on driving. That's the only thing I like about this car after many years of driving it. Right from the start it had road noise, needed a new starter (still have starter issues), and after 15,000 miles I already had warped rotors. Now at 180,000 miles my rotors warped again and I have had wobbles and jitters throughout the coarse of owning this car. The fuel pump had to be replaced 3 times over the course of my ownership. I keep having to replace the headlights every 4 to 6 months as they burn out really fast. As an SUV type of car handling around corners isn't really great as you feel like you are going to tip over so you have to slow down. I don't drive recklessly; I drive carefully. Maybe I just got a lemon but if you don't want a car that will cause you headaches constantly don't get it. If you are willing to spend the money on replacing parts and having them go out 4 months later go ahead. Again the only thing I like about this car is that reliably; you can drive it in the dirt and keep on driving but in a car reliable to me is having a car that will drive and maintenance is a breeze. Overall it's been a great car to have to run into the dirt (MPG not that great for a 4 cylinder) but I'm tired of continuously spending money on problems that keep surfacing and I know the CR-V is tired as well. So I'm finally selling it and getting another car. Brand new I should have bought another car, but I drove this CR-V with constant problems. Again maybe I got a lemon. The end? I'm never buying another Honda; lesson learned. I mean my girlfriend's dad's 2005 Chevy 1,500 has not had as many problems as my car has and he has spent significantly less in repairs and maintenance over the years of owning that truck.

Worth every penny
By perek75

2006 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drive the Honda LX trim level. 152500 miles (now 171000) and the only none scheduled repair was replacing the blower motor which was 5000 miles ago. Reliable, dependable and good economy car , gas mileage 22-26 or so with AWD. Got the car new. I am 6 ft 2 in tall and 300 lbs + and I am very comfortable driving and riding in this car. Plenty of head space and easy to get in and out of. My wife is around 5 ft and she can easily adjust seat for her. If anything there is some road noice especially when comparing with newer 2015 model cars and the stereo is not the best but it works fine. Great winter car as well (Chicago area Michelin hydroedge tires). Comfortable seats, good visibility.

I consider this a safe car based on crash tests however it obviously don't have some of the new technology available in newer models.

As to recalls, I think there has been 2 in the life of the car one was airbag related from the big scandal.

Utility: easy to fit long narrow items such as for example a 2x4 8 ft long. The hatch can open two ways, only the window or the whole hatch. When I transport something long I open the window hatch and drive with it open - ingenious design. I have a roof rack and there is pretty much nothing for a household I cannot transport. I also have a hitch. Don't use it often but last time was pulling a uhaul trailer small size full with stuff about 300 miles. The tow capacity is not super but made the trip ok at highway speeds.

This is not a sports car but suits me well.

Since first review battery died but nothing unusual about that. I do have a noise from one of the wheels on the serpentine belt that might need repair soon, but after 171000 miles I am not complaining.

This would be a great starter car for a young driver in my opinion.