Used 2005 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 348 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Why would anyone need more?
By farsider

2005 Honda CR-V Special Edition AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've driven a number of cars in the past, but this CR-V SE is one of the top. Good mileage, great ride, very comfortable and easy to get around in. Don't believe the info about "too much engine noise" - its surprisingly quiet and has some features you used to find only on BMW or Mercedes. I will never go back to $50k autos.

Ride, handling, quiet

Punch up the power

Tall drivers beware !
By rollodo

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After about a week of driving the car my right leg began to ache where the thigh and hip come together and it eventually became excruciating. I am tall, about 6' 3" and noticed that my thighs were not resting on the seat cushion like they do in every other car I have owned or driven. Instead, they are sticking slightly off of the seat so my leg weight is on the pedals and hip joint. The problem is the seat cushion is nearly flat and not distinctly sloped backward as in other cars - a very poor ergonomic design by Honda. I have to drive the car with a folded towel under my leg to support it.

Gas mileage, 23 to 24 mpg in mixed driving. Excellent visibility. Extremely smooth transmission and engine. Good performance. Best A/C I have ever had in a car. Very solid and tight.

Have bucket type seats as in other cars or a way to tilt the seat cushion as in the Honda Pilot.

City driving equals a lot of gas
By Daniel Cushion

2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

So far I have not gotten close to the city mileage they claim in their ads. I average between 14 and 16 miles to a gallon around town. I thought with a 4 cylinder that the gas would get at least close to the 20 or more miles to a gallon that they claim in their advertising. However on a highway trip I was pleased to get 25 miles to a gallon. Overall I am happy with this vehicle, but wish that the city gas consumption was much better.

I am very impressed by the amount of power it has for a 4 cylinder engine. It has way more pep than the 6 cylinder Caravan that I traded in on it. It has plenty of power getting in on the highway, a very pleasant surprise.

I would like to have doors that automatically lock after you reach 10 miles an hour. I had them on a Dodge Caravan and they were great. Also I would like to be able to open the drivers door without having to unlock all the doors to get out of the vehicle.

Really Enjoying My New CR-V
By Tam

2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've only had this car for a couple of weeks, but we've driven it 1000 miles, mostly in the Rocky Mountains. It handles great and has plenty of power for climbing hills (on roads; we haven't driven it off-road). I rode some of this week in the backseat, and it was very comfortable because of the reclining seats. We found that with the larger half of the backseat folded down, we can fit both of our bikes in the car with the front tires removed. (The tires fit too, just not on the bike.) The little "tire well" thing under the rear floor gives space for storing extra oil and all that too, out of the way. The AC is also very powerful, which I missed in my last car.

The fold-down tray in the center is great. I thought we would just leave it up, but when it's down, it's so great having a giant amount of space between the seats. There is also no hump in the center in the back, so rear passengers can put a lot of stuff there too.

I really have none, so far.

Not happy with new CRV
By CG

2005 Honda CR-V Special Edition AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As an expectant mother I wanted a mini SUV and wanted the "reliability" of the Japanese cars. I went with the top of the line SE edition. Within 3 months of buying the car, a strange clicking sound began from the steerting wheel area. It became unbearable and so I took it to the dealer. They needed an entire day to take the entire steering wheel apart. I had meetings in the afternoon and since Honda has no loaner program even for situations like this where a new car is performing so poorly, I was unable to leave it. I planned on taking it back, but the noise has become inconsistent and they won't be able to work on it if they can't duplicate it. I am very unhappy with the CRV and Honda.

The noise bothers me so much it outweighs all possible good features.

A loaner program for situations where a new car is truly not performing as a new car should.