Used 2004 Honda CR-V EX Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

BEST CAR IVE EVER HAD
By Monica

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I moved 6 times with this car. Drove all over Florida with it, and it never broke down once. 100k miles on it and I have yet to find a problem with it. The speaks were soooo good, everybody thought I had special speakers put in. 10/10

Best car
By Lee Ann

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The best car I have ever owned!! My 2004 Honda CR-V just turned over 340,000 miles! The only real problem I had was the AC compressor which lasted until around 250,000 miles and I replaced for $1000! The tires last forever on this jewel! I am now looking for another Honda CR-V! I love, love, love this car! Wish I could buy another one just like it!

Great Car With Bad AC
By brett758

Positives:
Bought my 04' CRV with 175k miles on it. It now has 250k miles on it and other than putting new tires on it and having the breaks done I have not had a single issue! Not one! The gas mileage (manual transmission 26-27mpg)is pretty good for an SUV. The AWD system has worked well in the snow and I can feel the back wheels turn on when I let the clutch out. Quality interior that has stood up the brutal Arizona sun.

Negatives: I bought mine with an aftermarket AC compressor so I never had to deal with the issue but I have heard that it's a $3000 fix when the OEM one blows up. Road noise is bad, even with a new set of Michelins. Funky looking styling IMO.

Bullet proof reliability and gas mileage.

Honda needs to fix the road noise issue in all of it's cars, not just the CRV. Make sure you buy one that has had the factory AC compressor replaced with an aftermarket one. Why did they discontinue the manual gearbox after 20006?????

Fun Car
By Jackson

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new and really love it. Love the moon roof, the CD/radio, and the seating configuration options. As a tall guy, I fit in this thing well, even with the moon roof. Towing a U- Haul type trailer on the highway I get a respectable 19mpg at 55mph. Original tires were noisy and rough, but lasted to 50K - replaced with Michelin's. Replaced rear brakes at 72K. MPG have been (very) disappointing - have always beat EPA estimates on other cars. I get almost 25 going to work 7-miles away, but highway mileage is almost 22 on the cruise control. Overall average is 23.7.

Sound system, rear well, visibility, fun to drive

Better highway gas mileage (add a 6th gear for cruise), lower road noise, arm rest on the passenger seat, more cup holders up front, more useful console

No More Hondas
By D JACK

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 04. Tires wore out after 20,000 miles. Excessive wind and road noise, rides like a tank, seats are not comfortable. Front struts had to be replaced at 50,000 mi. and yes my air cond. went out at 59000 mi., cost $2800 at dealer. Found someone to fix for $1000. Eng. light keeps coming on and off. No more Hondas.

gas mileage is ok

When something is known to be a defect recall and fix. (AC)