Used 2004 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 410 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Evil A/C's
By Shawnzee

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 CR-V new and took delivery in Nov. 03. Basically a good car but not a great one. The well known A/C problem became a problem for me in the 90,000 mile range in August. I live in Connecticut and we don't use A/C much but in August you really need it. The repair was $1500 and Honda covered $900 of it as good faith. At about 105,000 the throttle body went and I shelled out $1000 for that repair. Based on the dealers absolute confusion on what was wrong I don't think this was a common occurrence for the CR-V. The sun visor broke off in my hand and cost $100 to replace. The drivers seat belt broke but was covered under the lifetime guarantee on seat belts.

The tumble forward rear seats and cargo space. Spunky engine and good transmission.

Paint, throttle body, a/c, rear door, tires, MPG, seat belts and sun visor. What happened to Honda reliability?? I have a love/hate relationship with this car but would probably buy another one.

Terrific
By mold

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car met my expectations for a mini- SUV perfectly. I also shopped the RAV4; preferred the CRV and have not regretted it. 20-21 mpg in town... 24- 26 mpg highway. No problems in 31+k miles. I have stuffed lumber and furniture into it but also know that it has size limitations and is not a truck.

Fun to drive, peppy, very maneuverable.

At certain speeds, auto transmission searches too much. Next generation model w/ 5-speed might be an improvement.

65k miles and I'm still lovin it!
By Jack

2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm reading that people have had issues with their A/C but mine works as good now as it did when I first bought it. The engine still purrs and the transmission is as smooth as silk. I put a heavy-duty hitch on it and haul approx. 1700lbs on occasion without any hesitation from the engine. Routine maintenance, good mpg and decent fit and finish continues to make my CR-V a winner for me. Just to add, mine was assembled in England and the engine/transmission were manufactured in Japan. Maybe this makes a difference.

AWD, dash mounted shifter, nice sound system, good fit and finish. pretty much everything.

I wish they had designed the rear door on the CR-V identical to the Element. I prefer a tailgate as opposed to a swing-out door.

Great car
By starfisher

2004 Honda CR-V LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our CR-V has been a dream to own. We've had no problems whatsoever with regular maintenance. We love the layout of the interior and all of the cargo space, not to mention the gas mileage. I'd buy this car again and recommend it to friends and family.

Card table, waterproof well in back, ease of driving.

More cars should be made like this one.

Great design, terrible gas mileage
By Santa Barbara

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car for its utility and versatility. it can carry three mountain bikes in the back and is great for our big dog. But the low gas mileage shocked us - 15 mpg for largely suburban driving (school runs, errands etc.) Has done really well off road when we've needed it to, and handled very well in snow and ice, with and without chains. The super expensive ($500) oxygen sensor went out just after the warranty expired and that was a disappointment.

Versatility of back seats - storage and cargo room. Great design. Versatility, versatility, versatility - best feature. Seats aren't very comfortable, back seat is not comfortable at all but has great leg room. Good for our sporty lifestyle, bad for long road trips only because comfort is poor.

Plastic trim is really cheap and fragile. Within a year several pieces had snapped off or broken. Back metal seat belt pieces bang hard and break back plastic trim around door (poor design). Poor OEM tires wore out at 22k miles. Poor seals around doors had to be replaced.