Used 2003 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 475 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Bad Apple from the Honda Tree
By Dante

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The day we drove off the lot and started driving our shiny new EX on the highway I tested the cruise control. It wasn't working. Had to leave the car with the dealer for 2 days to fix. Then within 8 months had 3 recalls on this . At 18000 had to get new brakes and at 26000 new tires. At 78,000 2 of my engine mounts broke which affected the axles. So for $750 got that fixed (by my mechanic), the dealer told me that it will cost me $1,600. Now I have to replace the bushings. Its been not a good experience owning this vehicle. By the way most of the driving is highway and local. I wouldn't dream of taking this offroad. Never recommending a Honda product to my worst enemies (or friends).

The roominess when all the rear seats fold up

Don't build an SUV or comfortable recreational vehicle (CRV) on a car platform.

Beware of A/C Compressor Issues
By Tim

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We owned this car for a little over 2 years and it was definitely a great car overall EXCEPT for the A/C compressor issues. The compressor blew not once, BUT TWICE on us within a 6-month period and the car only has 62,000 miles on it! Honda would NOT help us out with goodwill assistance and insisted it's not a known issue (do an internet search and you'll find that's NOT true). If you get one without A/C issues then it would probably still be a great car to own - very practical.

Fold down console, drawer under chair, space

Offer a recall on the KNOWN A/C compressor issue where it actually BLOWS up!

A Satisfied Owner
By MikeS

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In 5 years and 140k miles, I have had no mechanical problems with this car. In that sense, I'm very pleased with it's reliability. The exterior design is nothing to go crazy over. I have the roof rack which is not very useful when you need to tie something down to it, but was necessary for installing a roof carrier when camping. As for the interior, I do like the fact that the moonroof does not eat up a bunch of headroom, and the split rear seats allow for a lot of storage in the back. I also like the foldup table. I don't understand how people can get 25 - 27 mpg in their CR-V. I have yet to get over 22, which is my biggest complaint along with the lack of power of the engine.

With a tall torso, moonroofs have not worked well for me. They take up too much headroom in the vehicle. The CR- V does not have that problem. I do love the fact that it has a full-size spare and not the compact spare. I like how the front center console folds down easily to get out of the way.

More power!! Our Camry's 4cyl is much more lively and we get 28-30 mpg. My dad had an 00 Chevy Impala with a 6cyl that got 28 mpg. A bigger engine might also improve the 1500 lbs of towing capacity too. This is not a rugged SUV, but being able to tow a tent trailer would be nice.

Reliable Car so far...
By janet

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my CRV (with sun roof and 6 CD player) in 2003 and haven't had any major issues. Runs well, reliable car, great going to the Mt for skiing, drives well in the interior/hot weather. All in all, a good car.

6 CD changer, sun roof, lots of head room for tall people like me, seat warmers! :-)

rear heat

So Far So Good
By amanda

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle brand new. Wish it had a little more room in back seat. No major problems so far. Only problems experienced are door actuator on drivers door quit working and now key does not want to fit in door sometimes. Also, sometimes won't start, have to remove key and put in opposite way? Gets GREAT gas mileage though. So far, very dependable.