Used 2003 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 475 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

CRV or Bust!!
By irishgal

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ok...so it's a smaller SUV but our family of four LOVE the CRV. Really. Turn radius is super, comfortable, verrrry reliable and fun/easy to drive! Gas mileage is about 22 hwy. 18 or so city. Good storage room in back. We've had 5 people (2 adults/3 kids) and they're not squished. There are no blind spots, either. Important for me!!

It's fun to drive! LOTS of storage for CD's, drinks and just stuff (when you have kids there is always some hidey hole or drink cup in use). TWO drink cup holders in back.

The parking break is below radio. WEIRD location for it. AND needs to have AC in back for passengers! Maybe new models do?

Beware cruise control
By dave

2003 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never wanted a Honda CRV. Caved into the dealership sales pitch. Took awhile, but really enjoy driving it, very much. Mine has 67,000 miles and will simply keep driving it. Two things, 1.) the CRUISE CONTROL separated from its location in the engine at 57,000 miles. Dealership said "out-of-warranty" and quoted $986.00 to fix, then indicated that this happened to another customer. They said they would supply the part, I pay for the labor. OK. That was a year ago, and even after several phone calls to them, I still have no cruise control. Also, at 17,000 miles the drivers side floor carpet split, Honda said it was due to "usage". No, it was poor installation.

Easy to drive, great turn radius, very roomy for cargo. Nice looking exterior. Really no engine problems. Adequate gas mileage.

Cheap interior, all plastic which scratches real easy (the dog has been banned). Drivers position OK but not real comfortable (I'm 6'). No acceleration.

Totally Disappointed in Honda Quality
By Martha

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Like other 2003 CRV owners, I bought with expectations of "Honda quality." My air conditioner went out at 56K miles, and to their credit, Honda paid for parts; I paid for labor. At 118K it went out again. I was told it was "too far out of warranty" for them to replace the AC again. I assume keeping a Honda for 200+K means replacing the AC every 55K miles??? The oxygen sensor is also out, so I am a soon-to-be EX-Honda owner. Had planned to buy a Civic next, but not now. Detroit should be a lesson on squandering a good reputation and letting quality slip. I don't know what it costs for Honda to get a new customer, but it cost them an AC replacement to lose a "Honda for life" customer.

Cargo room; split seat.

Better mileage and reliable air conditioning systems.

Shake, Rattle and Roll
By LGBoston

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first new car. The first two years were bliss because I overlooked little things that are now driving me crazy. And each month a new noise appears. The linkage is awful but my mechanic tightens it up regularly. Brakes failed me on a bridge in Virginia last August. Horrifying but let me tell you how grateful I am to have a standard transmission. All tires have been replaced. Monday the new starter goes in. The road noise which I cheerfully ignored because I was driving a HONDA is now torture. The original battery lasted 3 months. The passenger side door lock does not open automatically any more. Fuses have been replaced. Never again.

Good craftsmanship all around.

No So Good Honda
By Gail

2003 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed and surprised at the unreliability of the 2003 CRV. I thought Honda's lasted a long time with standard maintenance. I had to replace the tires not long after I got the car. The ones that come with the car are poor and unstable. My seatbealts are difficult to use and don't slide back and forth as they should. The security light stayed on because one of the seatbeats was not working at all. A part had to be ordered. Another one is a nightmare to use. I have had to replace one of the oxygen sensors for $550.00. Now my clutch and air conditioner are going out. That's another $2000 plus. Because of this, I will not purchase another Honda and will now trade this one in.

The seats folding down and the cargo space.

Re-engineer the whole car for better reliability. It doesn't live up to Honda standards.