Used 2002 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

HOT under the collar without A/C
By yogamom86

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The car was fine until the warranty ended. After that it was one repair and the other. The final straw is the estimated $2500 to replace the entire AC System since the compressor blew pieces of metal all in the system. This is clearly a manufacturer defect. The dealer said that Honda will not pay because of the age of the car.

A/C Did Me In
By givingup

2002 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The a/c, as others have reported, is the worst part of owning this vehicle. First time it broke was long out of warranty and Honda didn't give a flip this was a common complaint. Second time, still under 1yr warranty from previous work. It took the mechanic three compressors before finding one that worked without failing instantly. Third time, I just gave up and am now looking for a new car. It was my second Honda. My first was a Civic which held up well in a very bad front end collision (I walked away uninjured from a car with no front end left) which led me to stay with Honda. The a/c experience and nearly constant check engine light are why I will leave.

I was able to fit a tremendous amount of stuff into the rear when putting the seats down which will be a feature I miss but it's time to get something more fuel efficient.

A/C, seat comfort, noise

More problems than you would think
By rj

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car did well right up to the end of the rather weak warranty. After 90K some really annoying repairs... chief of which was the endemic defects involving the AC Compressor. O2 Sensors went before that and before that the blower motor. Having heat last winter and AC this summer has been a real challenge. Honda was no help with repairs which is disturbing since the AC Compressor is an obvious problem throughout the country.

Honda 2002 CR-V
By bolinlamar

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned, I only buy used cars now not new ones. I thought this was a good buy at a good price because of my experience with the other Honda's I've owned, boy was I mistaken. The Air Conditioning Compressor blew up only 2 weeks after I bought it, the Sales Manager refused to help pay for any of the repair or parts for the AC System. He said that he had sold me the car at a price that was so low that the dealership didn't really make any profit so he couldn't help with any of the repair. I had to pay $1974.97 to the Honda Dealership to replace the entire AC System since the compressor blew bits of metal were all in the system. Very disapointed.

Fun to drive, comfortable seats, good audio system and CD player. I get 25 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg around town with the air off and 23- 19 mpg with the AC on.

Improve the AC System so it is as reliable as the rest of the vehicle. Honda should be forced to re-call these vehicles and repair the AC at no charge.

2002 Honda Reliable??
By bolinlamar

2002 Honda CR-V SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Honda I've owned and I must say the worst one, I've purchased 2 used Honda's in the past and they've been fine and I still have a 2003 Honda Odyssey van 138,000 miles on it, doing fine. But this 2002 CR-V is the pits, not because of its driveability but because the compressor in the air conditioning system blew up after the second week of ownership, it's presently being repaired at a cost of $1974.00. Honda America is paying $500.00 I guess as a matter of goodwill because they know this has been a defect with these models. I won't buy a used Honda again, one sting is enough for me.

Comfortable to drive when the AC is working, reliable as far as the engine, but not the AC.