Used 1999 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Practical, bulletproof
By Mark

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

A very practical family car if you don't need to carry more than 4. Lots of cargo capacity, though long items require some creativity. All maintenance has been preventative and at reasonable cost - it's never left me stranded. No problems at all in snow - I've driven in 6-8" depths without an issue. Performance is nearly nonexistent with just the driver and decreases rapidly with payload. High-speed cornering fraught with uncertainty as one might expect with skinny tires and a high center of gravity. I get a very consistent 25 mpg with a 70% highway/30% city mix at 127K miles.

Versatility, cargo capacity, winter performance, excellent reliability, decent gas mileage despite brick-like aerodynamics

Underpowered, noisy at highway speed, uncertain handling when pushed

Almost perfect
By Cr-V 4U&me!

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

We've owned ours from new in '99 and echo what many have said. We're coming up on 300,000 km on little more than gas, oil, and tires. Still have original clutch and have had only 1 (yes!) brake job. Exhaust original as well. 2 recalls (ignition switch and rear differential fluid). This car has been fabulous. There are some complaints, however. The fan and a/c is weak for the interior volume (although still works as if new). The seats are the worst part of the car - seat cushion too short and hard. It's underpowered for it's size and noisy on the highway owing to high revs. Needs a sixth gear. I know it seems like a lot of complaints but, actually, it's a great car. Would buy again!

Build quality, clutch, brakes, quality of interior materials, velvet switchgear, smooth engine, 1st gen styling.

Needs: better seats, lockable rear differential, more power, higher final gear ratio in 5th or a 6th gear to reduce highway noise. Not a relaxing long distance cruiser although we have taken a 5000km road trip with it.

I Love My CRV!
By cindy4aa2

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my CRV brand new in 1999. It has great gas mileage, low maintenance costs and has been extremely reliable. I haven't even run out of gas! The only things I have done to it are regular maintenance items, oil, tires, belts etc. Just had to put part of new muffler on this week. I live in a snowy city and the salt finally ate through. And I didn't have to replace the battery until last year. I would love to get another newer model but they are too expensive for me now. I will definitely get another Honda. It'll be my third! I highly recommend them.

Gas mileage, comfort and plenty of room inexpensive maintenance and reliability

Don't need the table, but I think they finally figured that out. I like that the 2007 model has the tire hidden. It looks better.

So Cute!
By iamlysa

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I gaze out of the window at it all the time, it is such a cute car. It has a lot of get up and go and the A/C is so much better then my Escape was. The gas mileage is better than my 07 Escape Hybrid. I haven't gone on long trips or up any mountains, but for getting from here to there, it is absolutely perfect and the 99 styling isn't outdated and still looks like a fairly new car. Just discovered the picnic table. So cool. I live in the Hippie community of Ocean Beach, Ca, and I think this care has finally found it's permanent home with me.

Gas Mileage, cuteness, get up and go.

Of course the passenger side arm rest, I mean they even have them for the backseat, so I'm a bit confused. Thhe drawer under the passenger side is a bit fudgy. But these things are so insignificant. I could come up with way worse criticisms for the Escape.

Best Vehicle Owned
By Hugh

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I bought this CR-V with 41,000 miles on it, and now have 156,000 on it. Change oil at 3000 miles always with a Honda dealer. Have had 2 minor brake jobs, set of struts, 1 radiator, 1 back-up light, timing belt with belts and water pump (at same time) these were not generic. My son is a cert. mech. wiper blades 2 times,2 tune ups, 3 sets of tires. Only lasting problem is in the hot Texas summers my auto tranny does not want to shift at certain times, it kinda hangs in gear until I give it more gas. I take it in and have the tranny oil changed (3 qt.) 3 times a year, that's a lot cheaper than an AT overhaul or new tranny. Gas mileage never less than 24 to 25 tollway/city.

Seating and visibility in traffic. Reliability and gas mileage. Maneuverability.

Rear door (which has been changed).