Used 1999 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Best Car Ever
By dustygirl

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Updating:. Now has 217,000 miles on it. Had to have some new rear bushings put on. Transmission still great. No problems. Oh...had to put a new catalytic converter on. Cheap and easy to do.

*** Original review:
Wish they still made them like this.
I am the original owner of my '99 honda crv and now have 191,000 miles on it.
No major problems...Just put a new radiator on it about two years ago, the old one just had a pin-hole leak.
The original battery lasted 9 years and was still okay, but I decided I'd just be safe rather than sorry and replaced it.
Only issue I ever had with it was a bad clunking/thunking when going over even small uneven spots...it was a $12 fix and just needed a new bushing where the sway bar end link went in.
We change the oil on time, and change the transmission fluid earlier than what it calls for.
I've checked valve clearance and they've always been fine.

206,000 and going strong!!!!
By brewmyown

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I have a 1999 CR-V EX with 206,000 miles and and its still going strong. As others have said, adjust the valves every 20K - 30K (or sooner since its so simple to do in less than an hour without much knowledge at all), change your fluids as scheduled (Transmission, motor oil, rear diff oil, etc.) and it will last a long, long time. Even the cloth interors on these cars lasts forever without showing wear. The vehicle is amazingly roomy inside.

AWD, gas mileage, roominess for a smaller vehicle.

Nothing really

Great small Suv
By small3

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my 1999 Honda Suv for 6 years with no problems! It now has 343000 on the clock but still goes like a dream. The AWD for me is great. I have launched my boat in some really awkward places at Jozini dam but the car never let me down.
We had a holiday at Pont D' Outo this year and the car had no problems with the sand we didn't get stuck once!!! And those sand roads are bad.

Great little suv but not a true suv
By lillukas

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my car 2 years ago with 104k and now have 144k and really havent had any problems with it..just replaced tires and radiator..i needed something bigger for work and this suv was perfect..plenty of room inside..fit 5 ppl often in the car..awd works very well in all conditions, and is quite fun on a little bit of offroading..but you have to be careful with that.. its awd is good but its not 4WD..i didnt have success on the sand but havent tried it often..mpg are about 25mpg combined..my only complain with the car is that the engine is just too weak..yes its why it gets good mpgs but only 146 hp and 133lb ft..its peppy but just needed more power..but honestly its just so practical

Interior space..tons of little compartments, love the under the passenger seat compartment..under the picnic table space..and i love the way it looks..i would take this model over the other gens in a heartbeat..mpgs are good too..i've gotten over 400 miles in a tank before

it def needed more power and torque for sure..would've loved like 175hp and 175lb ft or a small V6..the sound system was eh but i upgraded that so..but the cargo mounted speakers are in a bad position

One great little SUV!
By j1powell

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I purchased this car used with only 7000 miles on it. I now have 126,500 miles on the odometer and have towed it at least 25,000 miles behind a motorhome. It has been serviced every 3000 to 4000 miles including all of the Manufacturer's recommended services. Other than a few door dings from several unconscious sloppy people, it looks great and drives great. What a workhorse it has been for us. Great to own!!