Used 1998 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

I'll only be buying Honda in the future
By Stephanie

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love my 156,000 mile 9 year old CRV. I bought this car at 75,000 miles 4 years ago and have not had to spend any money on repairs. My only expenditures have been oil changes and a mileage based water pump/timing belt replacement. I would recommend the CRV to anyone. We are tentatively looking to replace my CRV with a new 2007 body style with nicer interior amenities, but I don't know if I'm ready to give this one up yet.

Reliability. Best compromise between car-like gas mileage and SUV-like size. Winter road handling! The AWD really helps with traction.

More pep. It is somewhat difficult to get up to full speed when entering a freeway/going up a hill/driving against the wind. But you can't beat the value of this lil' SUV. My second request would be a more stylish body, but Honda took care of this in the newer models.

8 Years Old & Going Strong!
By Mike

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my CRV new just over 8 years ago and this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. At 116,000 miles I still have not had to replace a single light bulb in the car. The Reliability and Quality have far exceeded my expectations! To date, I have not spent a dime on any unexpected service related items. It hauls my family of 4 nicely and provides plently of cargo room when needed. Keep up the good work Honda!

Overall ownership experience & style of vehicle.

5 speed Automatic transmission.

Best Car Ever
By mchae

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love my CR-V and am considering getting a new one. It has been 100% reliable and the best car I've ever owned even after 165k miles.

Comfort and room. Runs like new.

Passenger armrest. More engine power. Easier to fold down back seats.

Great Car
By Mark

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car about two years ago used with 80,000 and change on it. It has AWD, and is a manual. I have had other hondas in the past and this is the same as the three prior ones I have had. It never gives me any problems, smooth running, good mileage, lots of room inside. I can take four people skiing for the weekend in comfort. More back seat leg room then just about any SUV on the road. Handles like a car, I drive it in Manhattan a few times a week and do not get the extra charge that most SUVs get at the parking garages. I have even taken it for light off roading going to cabins in upstate NY and in Mass. I can not say enough about how nice of a car this is.

One of the smoothest shifting cars I have ever had. 120,000 miles and still the original clutch. I love the fact that it handles like a car.

Reduce the wind noise, would prefer a taller 5th gear for better highway mileage.

Great Used Car!
By Phil

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this car when it was new. It's worst feature is the engine is underpowered and it automatically locks into a lower gear when uphill. This can kick in on the highway at 65 mph and the engine just starts revving. With that said, this has been a great car for my family. It never got stuck in the snow and ice. It has great visibility from the windows. It has been very reliable and has never let me down. It gets about 19 mph city driving and about 27 mph highway. It has long suspension that really smooths out the road bumps. I would recommend it.

AWD, ABS, Good visibility, Reliable, Large cargo area with seats down.

More power and get rid of that feature in the transmission that drops to a lower gear on an incline.