Used 1998 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

1998 Honda CR-V
By areyoukiddingme?

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The reliability in this truck is incredible. I bought mine with 144000 miles and now have 229000 and it is still tight. The guy who just did my timimg belt couldn't believe the shape the engine is in. It is what is designed to be - fuel efficient, 4wd, roomy and functional.

Very roomy, nice handling.

Hybrid

Love MY CRV
By charlie

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

This Little RV has never let me down. It now has 180,000 miles and still gets 25 MPG. Maintenance costs have been below expectations. Carpets and upholstery are all intact and easy to clean. The body and paint are still all fine. While this in no race car, it's a good daily commuter and carries all the fun stuff that on weekends. My kids find the back seat comfortable. I find the front seats comfortable for trips up to about an hour. Road noise from the rear wheels would be my only complaint.

Reliability and reasonable maintenance cost. Good gas mileage.

Honda has already addressed the need for slightly more power and they have made the passenger compartment quieter in the second and third generation of the CRV.

Piece of garbage!
By Lauren

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our CRV in 2004 and we absolutely hate it! We can't wait to get rid of it. It revs up really high when trying to speed up, so it sounds like you are going fast, but you are hardly moving. The cruise control can differ like 10 mph than what you set it at. It has a hard time going up hills and revs up really high. Good luck trying to pass anyone. The stereo sounds horrible. The paint is cheap as well as the carpet. We think there is a slight oil problem because of a little smoke that comes out of the exhaust. Electrical is so messed up! Alot of things don't work properly. Very uncomfortable, especially for long trips. I don't see why people recommend Honda's! They are cheap junk.

It has good space. I like the orange display. I honestly can't think of anything else that I like at the moment.

Better gas mileage, more comfortable seating, better carpet, better quality stereo, fix electrical issues, better quality body so it doesn't rust as quickly, bigger engine!!! Lock controls on passenger side also, bigger tires, brighter lights. Just re-do the whole stupid thing.

Love My Honda
By Miguel Funez

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I've had this car for a few years now. Bought it used at the Honda dealership. It runs like a charm with over 100k miles on it and is standing up to normal wear and tear of the interior. It doesn't have as much power as a car with a bigger engine would but I'm not driving up any mountains so that's okay. I'd rather save on gas anyway. Interior design is nice with four cup holders up front and lots of storage space. There's a center console and a hidden drawer under the passenger seat where I can store napkins, maps, etc. Silver was a good choice because it's holding up nicely in the California sun, no fading or anything. When I buy a new car I'll likely buy the newest CR-V.

Comfortable seats, nice interior design, reliability, leather seats, storage space. Huge cargo capacity (I've gotten some pretty big pieces of furniture in the back!).

Clicker to remotely unlock the doors!

Awesome car!
By tommy

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I love this car! It looks good, good gas mileage, quiet and being a honda I know it is reliable! It has side impact bars and front and rear crumple zones, which makes it pretty safe for me and my 2 year old! I would recommend to any small family!

Side impact bars and front and rear crumple zone! And after a little research the engine is terrific, too!

Window locks on door not console.