Used 1998 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

10 Years and Still Lovin' It!
By Roy

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

The perfect small family SUV! I bought mine new over 10 years ago and as of today it just went over 218,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I have had no trouble at all with this vehicle. Great ground clearance has allowed me to do some light off- roading with it. As mine is only FWD I was apprehensive about moving to Upstate New York with it, but it handled the deep snows up there in admiral fashion using just regular all season tires. Even though I am thinking of getting a newer Honda (Pilot) I am not getting rid of my CR-V. This is the first vehicle that I have owned for more than 3 years and given it's outstanding reliability I plan to keep it for another 10 years.

High ground clearance yet car-like handling. Huge amount of interior space for a vehicle of its size. Comfortable ride even fully loaded on long trips. 21 MPG City and 24-27 MPG Highway. Reliability! Reliability! Reliability!

More horsepower. Armrest for front passenger seat. Less road noise. Brighter or different color display for clock for bright sunny days.

Love for the CRV
By CRV Love

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I got my CR-V 7 years ago and it had 60,000 miles on it. Now it has 215,000 and the transmission is JUST NOW starting to act up. I LOVE my little car and it's breaking my heart to have to say goodbye. I have only had ONE major issue with it (besides this) and it was because I ran out of gas on the freeway and the Cat-converter went out. Other then that this car has been the best I have ever had. I would recommend this car to EVERYONE! The only grip I have (well passengers have) is the lack of a second arm rest. I have told them all to lay down the $250 to add one and I would get it for them. As for the guy with the 'code' issue take it to a stereo store maybe they can help.

EVERYTHING! I will miss the card table in the back with a newer model but I am HONDA faithful! I love the reliability. Just get an oil change and the NORMAL car care done and it will last you AT LEAST 215,000 miles without an issue!

If I have to....an arm rest for the passenger ONLY so the driver doesn't have to hear about it :o) I do like that the newer styles have them! Also, after it gets up in age the power is not like it used to be on big hills.

1998 Honda CR-V
By areyoukiddingme?

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The reliability in this truck is incredible. I bought mine with 144000 miles and now have 229000 and it is still tight. The guy who just did my timimg belt couldn't believe the shape the engine is in. It is what is designed to be - fuel efficient, 4wd, roomy and functional.

Very roomy, nice handling.

Hybrid

Love MY CRV
By charlie

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

This Little RV has never let me down. It now has 180,000 miles and still gets 25 MPG. Maintenance costs have been below expectations. Carpets and upholstery are all intact and easy to clean. The body and paint are still all fine. While this in no race car, it's a good daily commuter and carries all the fun stuff that on weekends. My kids find the back seat comfortable. I find the front seats comfortable for trips up to about an hour. Road noise from the rear wheels would be my only complaint.

Reliability and reasonable maintenance cost. Good gas mileage.

Honda has already addressed the need for slightly more power and they have made the passenger compartment quieter in the second and third generation of the CRV.

Piece of garbage!
By Lauren

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our CRV in 2004 and we absolutely hate it! We can't wait to get rid of it. It revs up really high when trying to speed up, so it sounds like you are going fast, but you are hardly moving. The cruise control can differ like 10 mph than what you set it at. It has a hard time going up hills and revs up really high. Good luck trying to pass anyone. The stereo sounds horrible. The paint is cheap as well as the carpet. We think there is a slight oil problem because of a little smoke that comes out of the exhaust. Electrical is so messed up! Alot of things don't work properly. Very uncomfortable, especially for long trips. I don't see why people recommend Honda's! They are cheap junk.

It has good space. I like the orange display. I honestly can't think of anything else that I like at the moment.

Better gas mileage, more comfortable seating, better carpet, better quality stereo, fix electrical issues, better quality body so it doesn't rust as quickly, bigger engine!!! Lock controls on passenger side also, bigger tires, brighter lights. Just re-do the whole stupid thing.