Used 1998 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

1998 CR-V AWSOME RIDE
By mike44439

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Just bought a used 1998 CR V with just a little over 100,000 miles., so far great vehicle with great gas mileage averaging 25 and 28 on the freeway, not sure how they list it as 19 and 23, its so much better then that.
Great to get around in the city and everday driving, with lots of space and comfort.
For long trips I would prefer my F150 Lariat, but to save money on gas I'll use my CR V. As far as power its great for a 4cyl, and handles good, can't expect the power of a big vehicle in a little SUV, but its better then I expected., going up grades.

Space, Compartments, Seats, Power for a Little Vehicle.

Driver side Leg space could be a couple inches more to accomadate someone taller then 6ft. Sound system could be better too.

First car! (170,000 Miles)
By emmalandry

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I bought this as my first car about 8 months ago and although it is not much to look at, it is pretty reliable. I have had to fix lots of little things which is really annoying, but I guess you can expect that from any used car really. The most i've spent is a few hundred on some sensor or another.
As far as appearance, like i said, not so great, and it's kind of clunky. If you have to go 50 up a steep hill, except to go wheezing up it and end up going 40. This is a stubborn car.
I would recommend this to a GUY for a first car, but for girls. No. I kind of regret buying mine. The cons outweigh the pros.

-Size, plenty of space! -Window Size (you can see EVERYTHING!) -Reliability (Kind of)

-MPG -Attractiveness -No arm rest on passenger side -No pep, hard time going up hills -Kind of loud (Not VERY loud, but louder than a small car)

Best 1st/any car
By hondatoyotacj

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

This was my 1st car. 182,000 miles and it drove like a dream. I loved the way the truck drove and how it felt just sitting in it. My CR-V had a great smell, possibly of victory since it's an amazing car. I got a new car and sold it (Mistake). I don't get the same feeling with my Xb. This will always be my favorite car. If I could find one around my house that had decent miles, I'd be all over it. I plead for potential CR-V owners to purchase this truck. Join the family!

4WD, smell, room, performance, everything!

Doesn't need any

Daily driver
By jerry154

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I purchased my CRV used with 111,000 miles and have driven it daily for about 5 years.
Super reliable vehicle that has ample interior room and surprisingly large cargo area.
It runs good, handles good, does excellent in the snow (I live on a hill in the country and have never been stuck or had to walk once), and gets superb gas mileage compared to other SUVs.
My commute is only about 10 miles one way to work, and even with several long trips including one to Florida I have only logged 25,000 miles so far.
Not impressive by any means but this car has needed zero work done on it, other than oil changes.
In the past I have had
many American cars driven the same need lots of work.

Reliability. Reliability. Reliability. Surprisingly comfortable interior, with ample cargo space. The AWD is excellent in the snow, and you actually never know when AWD is being utilized it is so smooth. Good gas mileage. Excellent handling and road hugging capabilities. Overall, when looking at the big picture the total cost of ownership for this car is the least of any car I have owned.

The transmission is kind quirky. I have the 4 speed automatic which has a torque converter that engages at highway speeds to drop rpms. It doesn't always work when it is cold out and the vehicle must be run at 3000 rpms on the highway instead of about 2200 rpms. Also, when going up hills the transmission will not shift into a higher gear. I took this car in to have these issues checked out by a Honda dealer who advised that both issues where actually normal.

282,000 Miles
By Vito

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle 8 years ago with 79,000 miles. I have averaged well over 25k miles per year and have NOT had any major issues. Original engine and transmission. Original A/C compressor blows cold. I have yet to replace the original muffler. I have serviced this vehicle per Honda's specifications with the exception of oil changes. I change oil & filter every 7500 miles.I have never got this kind of reliability & performance in 40 years of owning and driving American built cars. Gas mileage:21-23 city, 25-26 hwy. This vehicle refuses to quit. This is the best vehicle I have EVER owned! I will, without hesitation, purchase another Honda CR-V!

Fold down split rear seats; rear table; storage space under rear table; many storage compartments.

In newer models:. Honda has moved the power window controls from the dash to the driver's door arm rest. They have also added a left arm rest to the front passenger seat.