Used 1997 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda CR-V

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (47 reviews )

FANTASTIC SUV!!!
By Stephanie

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I absolutely love my CR-V! I have had it for 4 years and put almost 100K on it with only changing the tires. Zero mechanical problems and great gas mileage. I am getting rid of mine only because it lacks power and I live in the mountains...it is great on flat ground but it is a little challenged going up steep hills; it makes a lot of noise but little acceleration. AWD is great in the snow/ice!! This is a perfect entry level SUV for someone who wants something bigger than a car but doesn't need a lot of power (small engine gets much better gas mileage :)

Great gas mileage, fantastic for everyday driving around town, fold down middle console, extremely low maintenance, picnic table has come in handy.

According to anyone who has ridden in my backseat- not so comfortable, seats are too upright. Has some issues with power...does not do well going up to the mountains, I lose about 10 mph going uphill.

fun to drive
By chucki42

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

i bought this vehicle for myself to commute to a job. what a blast to drive. a bit noisy but i solved that issue by putting sound insulation in. easy to work on, parts are not that expensive, easy to get at, i put the vehicle grouding system on, air intake, and the mileage is in the 30's around town. now that the youngest is driving i am surrendering my baby to her.

easy control access, easy to work on, cheap parts. fit and finish!!

chain timing belt. sound insulation.

Don't change it
By Ross Carley

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this little guy since new and have had it serviced on a regular bassis. No problems at all.At 170,000 miles I have yet to put a dime in her other than tires, brakes every 33,000 miles, and one batery.Original exshaust.It has gone throught the roughest New England weather without a whimper. Lots of snow and I live on top of a mountain. It burns no oil inbetween oil changes and seems to get better gas milage as it ages. No rattles or clunks and I am not easy on her at all. I have hauled far more than 1000 lbs. reccomened without complaint or even any sluggishness. I am looking for another 1997 to put away for after 300,000 milles. I might give it to one of my kids then. Maybe

1. Not so over powered you get wheel spin in bad weather. 2. Cruises at 65 without any effort. 3. Always been sooooooooo reliable

On occasion I have banged my knee on the fuse box cover when entering.

Best little SUV You Can Get
By The Best "CR-V"

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I've had this car over one year now. I've had no problem with it even with rainy Portland summer and winter. The car drives great and it has a great view. The things I've done on it are the regular oil change and tire rotation. I would suggest people to do the tune up once it reaches to 100K. I did mine around 95K and it gained more horse power after the tune up. It drives so much better now. CR-V alos work great in rain and snow. I've had no trouble with ice roads and snow (just have to drive slow).

Exterior, interior, reliability

More power and quieter interior. Softer seats. Tinted windows.

Awsome SUV!
By ptchevy

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I LOVE this car! Had to replace one of the cooling fans and performed necessary maintenance, but have NEVER had any type of engine or driveability prolems. I have 125,000 miles and will drive it 'til it dies, which may never happen, seeing how it rides and handles just like it did when I bought it with 24,000 miles on it.

Reliability! I enjoy having a car that goes and goes and doesnt have "bad days"!

More power. Id also settle for a hybrid version, so if their are any honda executives reading this...hint hint!