Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Things I didn't think about FIRST
By schoolsh33

2012 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had 96 Civic & 98Accord. Bought 2012 Civic 4 door stick shift in May 2011. I've always loved stick for the pickup & gas mileage. Big problems with this car. 1) NO pickup at all. It's embarrassing at a light with even slight incline & people are on your butt & go around u because it takes forever to get up to speed. If AC is on forget it, u have to turn it off until u get to speed. 2) Visibility sucks. There is a thick separator where side mirrors are making window 2 sections creating major blind spots 3) My kids can't have back window down, it causes this vibrating wind sound that hurts your ears.
So, things I never thought about have made me unhappy with this car & I'm trading it in

I have no complaints on the appearance or the inside

See review

Problems
By gwconklin

2012 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Nav (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I like my car, but it's broke down 3 times in the first 3,600 miles. The rocker arm bent the first, and the next time another rocker arm broke in two. This should not happen with a that only has 3,600 mile on it. Has anyone else had this issue?

Don't buy a hybrid, get this car!
By brock69

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Driving from Cincinnati, OH to Gatlinburg, TN this past weekend we averaged 41 MPG while having the sunroof open fully and all the windows open about 2 inches. From there we continued through the App. Mountains to Greenville, SC and averaged 43 MPG with the AC running and we were not doing anything crazy like turning off the motor. I remember the sticker saying this car was rated at 39.
We averaged about 73 MPH the whole way in mild to medium traffic.
We bought this car with 9000 miles on it for $17,000 and have added 16,000 miles in 6 Months.
No expensive or dangerous batteries to mess with and we can turn the ECON button off whenever we want to get more juice.

Gas mileage Interior space Features and connectivity

Eliminate the double dash readout. The only real issue my wife and I have is that the double dash is hard to see due to it's position. She is 5'1" and the steering wheel blocks her view. I am 5'11" and the separation of the dashes puts a reflection on the windshield almost directly in front of my eyes day and night.

Lowest cost per mile.
By genegenre

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is quiet, comfortable, lots of leg and rear seat leg room. Trunk is shallow but tall and will fit two small suit cases. Very areodynamic and does well in strong cross winds, is light weight (2848lbs. for the CNG) yet steering is a little heavy but not that bad! Few minor quirks; the radio volume isn't loud enough to hear clearly (on max) when playing classical music, miles 'til zero range indicator fluctuates and settles esp the first half tank, trunk squeaks, car sputters when you first start it and hesitates when initially pressing the gas. As well it frequently acts like it's in neutral when you come to a stop so will roll backwards slightly on a hill. No coolant temp guage!

Update. I sold this car at 230k miles (used as a courier delivery vehicle) and I only had to do basic maintenance fluids filters, tires, I did have it timed at 125k. Original brake pads with 30% life left... 230,000 miles! I bought a 2016 Civic and it's not nearly as soft a ride. Firm suspension while a thrill to drive (and the car is much better generally than the previous generation), it's killing my back and I'll be selling for something softer.

The 2012 isn't a looker, it isn't interesting or special to drive. It's just an honest, efficient well built car that needs next to nothing for hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm sad that Honda stopped making the Natural Gas version of the Civic after 2015. With a larger tank in the larger trunk for the 2016 model, I would have likely bought the cng version.

Overall, a happy owner...minus a few complaints.
By kruizer

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2012 Civic LX Sedan in Dec. 2011 as a commuter car and have put about 17K miles on it. Like most have mentioned, the road noise is present and the sound system is not up to par.
My biggest complaint is the shifter/transmission (auto) tends to vibrate while accelerating quickly. Pulling out in traffic can be a bit dangerous too, if you forget the ECON button is on.

That being said, overall, my wife and I are very satisfied with our Civic.
The legroom is plentiful for this size car. The fuel economy is great (~32 in City). And the displays are very easily read.

Base features are good (USB/AUX, PWR everything except seats, digital speedometer) Fuel economy is very good. Leg room is great for this size car.

Better sound system for LX. Better performance for merging. Take care of the rattle in the shifter. Upgrade the carpet and sound-deadening matterials. USB is temperamental. Use wider tires for a smoother ride.