Used 2010 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2010 civic - it us up to Honda now
By btbarryt

2010 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my daughter a new 2010 civic to start college. Everything has been good up until now. Coming out of winter, we discovered her air conditioner is not working. The local Honda dealership in Gadsden says the compressor is out. The car has 40,000 miles, which is just past warranty. The local service manager says he is going to bat for me with the District manager to honor fix this for us. He committed to calling me yesterday with an answer. Still waiting - what do you think will happen? I own 6 cars, but this is my first Honda. It is up to Honda if this is my last purchase of a Honda product. Hopefully they will do the right thing and fix it. I will update as this unfolds.

Great fuel economy and fun to drive.

I bought this car because I have always heard of Honda quality. Very disappointed that I am facing a huge repair bill at 40,000 miles. This is my first Honda product since my days as a kid riding their motorcycles. Everything has been good until this air compressor issue. It will be up to Honda to determine if I will purchase another Honda product. I am hopeful but who knows at this point. Stay tuned..............

2010 Civic Not What I Expected
By kcgent

2010 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Updated April 2016. The car turned out to be a good vehicle. I had Honda work on the alignment and that really solved the tire wear problem. The brakes went out a second time at 50K, but that seems solved now, 33K on the current set and no issues. It isn't my old Accord, but it has taken some huge trips, performed well, and gets a consistent 38 mpg on the highway. Will take two 1600 mile trips this summer, and I am not worried about the vehicle. Has 83K now and I am not considering replacing it.

Bought the Civic used with 11,700 miles in March 2012. Noticed a bit of abnormal tire wear at that time. I've rotated and balanced the tires twice since then, still getting more wear, probably rear suspension issue.
Front brakes went out at 30,000 and I drive mostly highway.
This shouldn't have happened. Handling bumpy and it tends to skate over larger bumps.
Wish it ran 1/2 as well as the Accord I had with 285,000 miles on it.
Planning on dumping it soon.

2010 Hybrid is a risk to buy
By wjazz

2010 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

More or less our 2010 Civic Hybrid was not the best choice.
It is all pretty good and as I expected for a Honda except the hybrid battery.
Here you have a car that gets 38-42 miles per gallon which is fine and we are happy with it.
But at 40k miles the hybrid battery needed replacement.
The battery is covered for 100k miles so they replaced it but the coverage is not extended as a new battery but just covered for the additional 60k miles!
So we have a car that gets mileage that is only a hair better, if that, than the new non-hybrids and the battery is not dependable.
So lurking in the future is perhaps the need to pay $4k or better for a new battery.
Best to pick another hybrid.

Comfortable, nice riding car for its size. Fit and finish is very nice.

Extend the factory coverage on the hybrid battery. If Toyota can produce a dependable hybrid battery why can't Honda. Bluetooth should be standard.

Greatest Dissappointment Since 1992 Civic
By 3waystoplay

2010 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Nothing like older Civics in terms of its soul or lovability. Ride is moderately rough but still wallows over undulations on the highway. The increased power is at a severe cost to fuel economy (as low as 24 mpg without much sporting) and the automatic transmission does a poor job of utilizing the power vs fuel economy curve. Its like they took the shifting map of a V8 and copied it exactly. It is obsessed with micromanaging. Moreover, it doesn't even get it right. It will skip 2nd up a hill when it should have just left the power on tap, then doesn't have the power to make it in 3rd and shifts back to second. My passengers often think I'm moving the throttle. My malaise grows.

The styling is amazing, in and out. I love the looks. The seats and carpet are made of great materials. However, the dash and door panels are too plasticky, manifesting as a noticeable downgrade in touch and look of class. Plastic in interior is easily scratched even by fingernails. I have no complains about the controls, though I wish it had a fuel economy gauge instead of the pointless oil-life percentage. Why does that take precedence as the one fancy readout? Backseat's not even big enough for tall people. My 12k-mile engine makes an unusual whining sound that at low rpms and speed is just as loud as the actual combustion tone. Why are there inconsistent lemon-like cars from Honda?

Honda probably hit the nail right on the head for the target demographic here. I can't relate to the rest of the happy owners here. This car is well built, but tries to do too much. I liked how the old transmissions used to let the revs get a little higher before they shifted. Heck, I love manuals. But America does not like manuals. They like cars with a lot of power, that have ads saying they are fuel efficient, and they don't mind paying too much for everything. That must be why they don't mind paying 20,000 to for a car that could be outperformed in the most critical areas by a car with 150k miles from 1990 and chokes down gas like they drink coffee. A truly feeble attempt at a Civic.

Rear Suspension Problems
By ioeuropa

2010 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Civic. The 1998 Civic ex was the best. Still running with 280k miles on it.
Both my 2004 civics had Cylinder head gasket problems, one at 127k, the other at 214k.

I have 80K on my 2010 civic lxs. It's comfortable, has pep, and gets 38mpg.
My one complaint is a big one. The rear struts are basically non existent if I have two adults in the back seat. The car bottoms out on small bumps. It's truly frightening, and loud. You'd have to experience it for yourself.
Oh, and I drive highway only miles.

I believe that Honda quality has been going down steadily since '98. I'm probably going for a Toyota or Nissan next.

Styling, sound system, pep, and gas mileage. Engine reliability is great.

Need to improve cabin noise level. It's always been a civic problem, but I think I've owned one too many hondas. I'm ready for a quieter car. Honda might want to check our the rear shock problem that I have. I don't see any others with the same problem as I have, but it will definitely deter me from buying another civic.