Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good, Not Great Car
By Bryson

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2009 LX-S for 6 months now and I am pretty happy with it. It is excellent on gas I average about 33 MPG overall, I love the styling (both inside and out), it is smooth, reliable and has plenty of room for most anyone (I am 6'3" and I fit with ease) even the back has better space than most all the other cars I test drove. I am still kicking myself for not dishing out the extra cash for the Si (the car is fun but i can just imagine what those extra 57 horses could do).

Design, MPG, Space, Dependability, Even handles the snowy hills better than I would have guessed.

Remote trunk opener, more options available for the LX-S, better sound system, and a tighter handling ride.

Tire Problems??
By Mike

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

For starters, you don't buy a Honda for a comfortable ride. Hondas are purchased for reliability and gas mileage - GOT IT! I have owned a Honda for 25 years and currently own 5 Civics. I purchased a 2009 Civic EX-L in 8/09. After 7000 mls, had to put 2 tires on the rear & get 4 wheel alignment. At 14500 mls had to put 2 tires on rear & get 4 wheel alignment. The car seems to be eating more tread than gas. With that said, my dealership has not charged for the problem, but has not yet offered a fix. We'll see if this becomes an issue when we reach 36000 and the warranty runs out. Also, Honda engineers, why did you place the e- brake so close to your knee? Confidant Honda will fix the issue.

Steering wheel controls for cruise and radio, & heated seats.

Put the emergency brake back where it was -- please! Fix rear tire wear issues. I usually get 60K out of a set of tires.

Spend the extra money
By driverdan

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2009 EX loaded with leather and Nav. Spending the extra money on this package is worth it! Your not just getting a navigation system but Wireless blue tooth for hands free driving, CD, various ways to listen to music either by using the XM radio, USB port to plug in to a memory stick or using whatever MP3 device you have? And yes it also has hand free navigation. Just tell it where you want to go and it will plot the course. Bottom line if you’re a techno junky you will love this system. Mileage is around 30-32 MPG combined. Good pickup and go on the freeway and car is quite at freeway speed. You should be able to buy this cad loaded for under $22,000.00!!

Ahh....gee I wonder?

Lumbar adjustment would be nice.

Okay
By Aaron

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Car has moderate road noise; seems poorly insulated. Bluetooth calls can easily be heard outside of vehicle. The ride is pretty rough; can feel every road imperfection. Take corners at posted speed; otherwise car feels like it is slipping. The auto tranny is awful. If you don't make complete stops, the tranny will jerk into gear when you push the throttle. Downshifts are not subtle, either. Build quality is less than expected. Rear bumper fitment was off, paint scratches very easily, several plastic interior components replaced under warranty already

Bluetooth and Nav. MPG is averaging 28mpg with 40/60 city/hwy driving. Lots of storage.

auto transmission (or possibly drive by wire system) is terrible. If you are in stop and go traffic alot, I'd avoid this car. Better quality control leaving factory

Aweful Fuel Economy- 25 MPG average
By rich6139

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased Honda Civic LX sedan in September 2009. EPA mileage estimates were 25-36 MPG. I have had Honda Civics for the past 14 years and have averaged 36 MPG. This car has had awful fuel economy. My main reason for purchasing a Civic was for fuel economy. Contacted dealership- "nothing they can do"; contacted Honda USA case manager- "can't make any promises they can do anything about it". 22-25 MPG is what I am getting with this car, not the average of 36 MPG on my previous Civics. If it cannot be corrected, I will have to get rid of the car.

better MPG and better service for cars getting awful MPG.