Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 282 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

ShouldaBoughtAToyota
By miss_l

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car Certified used with just under 35k miles. I thought I was getting a deal.

Boy was I wrong. When people buy a hybrid they're buying it for anything more than value. Now while I have yet to encounter many of the problems I have been reading on the wed, I am in fear for the future of this car.

This car is advertised at 40/45 MPG. I have not even had the car a month and I am getting 33.4 and it keeps falling.

I am about to have a dealer look at it but even she eluded that the issue will not get better.

Worst purchase I ever made and I will be paying for it for 5 years!!

Would have been the MPG if Honda was honest

Get the MPG you claim to have!

Poor MPG
By aminu1

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 31,000 miles, my average mpg went down to 24. and i've gotten used to the check IMA and check engine lights on. Acceleration is poor when the IMA battery is discharged - have to downshift to gain some power. Besides, it's a good car.

Terrible Car - Never again
By primetime8032

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car about 4 months ago, ready to trade it in again. This car is absolutely terrible. The AC BARELY works, I went back into the dealership and they "recharged" it, still doesn't work. The sound system, lol what sound system, you can put the volume all the way on 40 (as high as it goes) and its still quiet (and sounds like [non-permissible content removed]). The car lags a lot when you hit the gas, very slow car, can't even keep up with traffic when merging onto the highway. Probably would be better in manual. The interior design is OK, only good thing this car has going for itself. The brakes are terrible, I bought the car as a 'Honda Certified' car, I had to return it TWICE for the brakes and still squeaks.

Great car... Minor complaints
By remlap48

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I only have 54k on my LX, so long term reliability is
something I'm counting on down the road at this point. As far as +'s go... peppy performance for an auto- 4cyl. Very solid tight build quality. Corners well (although I really don't drive like that). Est. mpg. 25 city (I'm actually getting 28 :o). Stock speakers thru quality stereo source, VERY impressive.
My only complaints would have to be, a rather limited turn radius. Only 1 compatible tire size, and not being able to see any of the outside of the car from the inside, except part of sides thru mirrors. Makes parallel parking a real adventure at times. Over all rating ++++-.

Extremely Pleased
By jones1124

2009 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I was coming off of a horrible Chevy experience. I had two vehicles back to back and they were awful. My Equinox was free and clear and I still decided to purchase the '09 Civic. I am very happy with this car!! I am 34 and past the need for looks and frills and wanted something I could put 150-200k on and I think I've found it with this vehicle. At 70k I've only needed front brakes. I do the normal tire rotation,oil and filter changes and it runs very smooth. My friend needed to borrow it and he commented on how well it brakes,the easy steering and overall handling. So far I can say that Honda has me for life,and I could not be happier!!!