Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

best car we have owned
By hayjay0911

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bough this car with 55K on it my boyfriend drives 100 miles to work and tis car is amazing we got it in september 2011 an have put 10 K on it and nothing wrong it has amazing gas mileage the only thing i dont like is the driver side door molding we had to replace it pulled away from the frame it was a 20 dollar fix i would tell anyone needng a good reliable car to go to hondas im a ford truck girl i love them but for theprice and reliabillity and our 2 kids fit in the back perfect with a car seat with an older child sitting in the middle love this car so much and all the reviews helped us so much thank you all

Gauges how they look the trunk fits my double stroller and my two umbrella stollers its very comfy to be in

The molding on the doors and the windseheild

Honda Quality sucks specially made in North America
By car8888

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I used to own a couple of Hondas and an Acura.
This one honda civic made in North America is really a Lemon.
I have only like 36,000 miles and\the following were done to my honda civic.
1) remote control transmitter two times.
2) Evaporator for aircondition gave way.
3) Right axel was replaced.
4) Tirod was also replaced.
5) Front air bag plastic got crack.
6)Front driver's sun visor replaced.

I was forced to buy an extended warranty and I am not sure what is next problem?
I am tired of going to the dealer.
Mileate is also bad, I am only getting only 22 to 25 miles in the city on normal driving and the tires are almost gone.

My old Hondas and Acura seldom see the dealer.

The car design is really very good but it does not measure up to the old HOnda or Acura made in Japan.

Do Not buy a honda civic made in North America. It is not worth it. Worksmanship is very poor.

It's just OK.
By inmassandri

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my silver LX-S sedan in June '10 with about 8k miles and a clean Carfax for less than $15k, which I thought was a great deal.
I was coming out of a very big car (Dodge Magnum) and was considering this Civic model, as well as the Mazda3 hatchback.
This is my 9th Honda or Acura product and I was expecting great things.
I drive a lot...and 15 months later, this car now has 50k miles.
I'm not as happy with it as I thought I'd be...mostly because I should have opted for a slightly larger car (like an Accord, Fusion, or Malibu). The reliability, however, has been perfect.

I really like the styling of this car...even in a boring color (silver) I think it's far better looking than the new '12 model. I dig the all-black interior of the LX-S model...in fact, it's the only Civic model I considered. In terms of reliability, you really can't ask for more. I literally put gas in the car, then get the oil changed and tires rotated when the car tells me to (approx. every 6k miles). That's it. It's never been back to the dealership.

The road noise is OPPRESSIVE! I cross a newly constructed highway bridge on my commute to work and literally cannot traverse the bridge with the windows open because of the tire noise on whatever type of pavement was used. The 13-gallon fuel tank is too small. Though the mileage is good, I still have to fill up twice a week. In addition, the digital fuel gauge is not accurate...the fuel indicator drop off much faster when the tank is low than when it's 1/2 full or more. Though I like the interior and the black upholstery on the seats, it's difficult to find a comfortable seating position with the manual adjustments. An outside temperature gauge would be really handy, as well.

No complaints after 2 years
By bassmstr9

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I leased this car 2 years ago because it was cheap, good on gas, has good safety ratings, and Honda is the leader in reliability.
I traded in a BMW 3 series because the repairs on the BMW were AWFUL - frequent and expensive.
Except for the BMW acceleration and handling, I like the Honda better in every way.
It has no rattles, no check engine lights, and no problems of any sort in 2 years.
On long trips I get over 40mpg (non-hybrid) on regular gas at 75mph with the air conditioning blasting. It's comfortable as long as you're not 6'5" tall. I'm actually buying it before the lease is up and just keeping the car.

Mine doesn't have any super fancy "features" per say, but I like the dash with the elevated digital speedometer. It's easy to read without taking your eyes off the dash. I had a remote starter put in for the cold weather, a very good investment. The reliability is the best "feature". You just turn the key, it starts every time, and it drives well wherever you go. Nothing but oil changes and tire rotations after 26,000 miles. I'm very happy with the gas mileage.

The acceleration leaves a little to be desired, but you can't have great acceleration in a car that gets great gas mileage and is reliable. When passing at 80mph or merging onto a highway, if you floor it the engine revs and you get enough acceleration but the engine sounds like it's really giving all it has. But for most normal people, it's perfectly fine. The road noise on poor pavement (highways that haven't been paved in a while) is LOUD. A little extra sound insulation would make a big difference. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Not Bad for an Econobox
By Truck Dude

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I "traded down" from a Titan and 1 year/ 22k later, I am very pleased. I average 30 MPH in mixed driving, 36 MPG on the interstate at 80MPH with AC. The car handles VERY well. It's smooth with minimal body roll. In dry weather, it can stick to a 25mph cloverleaf at 55mph, no sweat. I don't like the sound of most 4cyls, but the R18 actually sounds pretty good. Do not expect this car (1.8 + auto) to be a rocket. It will move if you mash it past 3.5k, but at a serious fuel cost. There is minimal rolling resistance, so it is easy to glide up to and hold cruising speeds to save gas without any "hypermiling" nonsense. The interior is generally ergonomically correct, and can accommodate 4 adults.

Handling is competitive and style is second to none. It's low maintenance (5-7k between oil changes) and easy to feed. It's obvious they put some thought into the R18. The LX-S is hard to find, but the interior makes it worth it.

I've had no issues, but my wish list includes- Get rid of the drum brakes. Move the parking brake away from the driver's knees. Get an auto-trans that matches the performance efficiency of the engine, 0-60 in 9 something is not cool. The base stereo is probably worst in class.