Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Safe, solid, satisfied
By edward

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned a 2006 Honda Accord since new, and have been very pleased. Along came cash for clunkers, and I happened to have a '94 Explorer that I was ready to junk, and lo and behold, $4500 was too much to pass up for a new car. This '09 lx-s sedan is really the ticket! It's solid and responsive. The black interior is unique to other civics, and really sets it apart. Both the '06 and the '09 are white. Seems to be the best color for looking sharp and to keep clean, although I do like black. Have had the car for a couple of months, get 30 mpg average, and really like driving it. I've learned to keep my right knee away from the emergency brake handle. It bothered me at first.

Black interior, firm handling, solid construction.

Improve position of emergency brake handle.

It is a good car!
By Al in FL

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first new Honda for me. I commute about 100 miles/day. I tell you what. I get about 31-35 miles per gallon. Handling is good and fun to drive. However, road noise is high when you are on highway.

Great Handling, gadgets, and design.

Road Noise when at high speed >60 mph.

DX-VP VP=very primitive
By first newcar

2009 Honda Civic Sedan DX-VP 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

First new car I've ever bought. I had driven multiple cars, and did not realize this did not have keyless entry, no arm rest, not even floor mats until I was driving it home. I was furious. I brought it back. But they wanted an additional $4000 for the keyless entry and armrest. We were hoping to get the cash for clunkers, but they decided they couldn't do it because the computer system was overloaded. Then we were supposed to get 3.9% financing, but despite our exclnt credit we didn't qualify? We were at the dealership for five hours waiting for the car to be readied. During the test drive the salesman pointed out the adjustable steering wheel, but didn't mention all it lacked. Very unhappy.

Better gas mileage that my Chrysler Town and Country.

Wipers leave an annoying streak in the middle where it doesn't clean properly. Add the keyless entry, auto. remote mirrors, floormats, and an armrest!! Moonroof makes loud vibrating sound unless I open my door window a crack when moonroof open. Overpriced for lack of features!!

Nice but gas mileage better on my 1999!
By Jules

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car is nice looking, it is comfortable and the interior is a lot of bang for the buck considering the price. However, I do feel the engine is lacking a big, at only 2,500 miles I already feel a little idle rumble when I start the car and it's not nearly as good on gas as my 99 Civic EX which I also still have. That's a big disappointment to me. The brakes also seem like they are working super hard all the time and they make an awful noise when breaking on any type of hill. I don't believe they are going to last too long. Those are my only gripes, it's a nice little car.

Interior is roomy and comfortable. Trunk is a nice size. Love the dash and the controls for radio, etc. are easily accessible while driving. I do like the design for 2009 as well, the previous few years were a little too spaceship like for my taste.

Give room for two large cups to fit side by side in the cupholders. The lids of our large coffee cups get stuck on one another and you have to lift out the first cup to get out the 2nd without a spill. Brakes should be improved. Fuel economy not so great in comparison with my other 3 Hondas.

Love it!
By Ray

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 2004 Impala with 90.000 miles for the civic lx-s, with 134 miles on I had a little (or big) problem, the engine stopped responding to the accelerator, I kept on pumping the pedal and downshifting (just in case) on the way down to 1st gear and it got going again, took to the dealer and did not find any problems, I just have to learn to trust again, but, I love the sporty feel of the car as a whole, steering wheel, dash, outside, don’t care for the wheel covers (will probably fit some nice alloys). Love the happy revving engine and the Goodyears are just ok, but for what the car was design for, it is fitting. Over 300 miles now, loving it.

Finish, dashboard lights, hook up for aux. sound input, clutch & shifter package, plenty of room in the front (I ride solo most of the time).

Remote trunk release, all weather floor mats would not hurt, softer tires.