Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Still a solid, everyday car
By Mark

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased the Civic based on its reputation above all else. Wanted a reliable, fuel-efficient, decent sized starter car. To this point it has not disappointed. It has a fairly roomy interior (can comfortably fit 4 people who are under 6 feet tall). The dashboard design is useful with the mph gauge sitting above the rpm gauge--have had no problems with it. If anything, it is more convenient because your eyes barely have to glance down to see your speed. I have been getting mileage along the lines expected: 28ish city/traffic driving and 36ish highway. The drive and handling is smooth enough, but I'm no expert on that.

Auxiliary input is phenomenal. My iPod connects right into stereo with audio cable ($10-15 at Best Buy)--no more feedback from overriding radio stations. Back seat dropping down is great (was able to easily slide in 40" TV and 8 foot 2x4's). Naturally, getting good gas mileage is fun.

Cruise control is a little weak--barely use it because it goes into overdrive when climbing almost any hills. Engine often tends to get stuck in high gear for local driving and revs over 2000 rpms while coasting downhill. Remote trunk release would be a nice addition for LX model.

What Corolla should learn from...!
By Cali_guy

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car due to its non- cliche styling, reliability, and performance. I love the way it rides, handles, quietness and the overall uniqueness. I was caught between the Corolla and it was a great revamp but it looked to cliche "family" type, the horsepower never changed, and the interior looked ehh, boring. It took me awhile to get use to the clunking when out and putting in gear... the dealer told me the brakes are magnetic or so. Although, for 140 horses it has a lot of go especially on overdrive but I think a lil more pep should be added. Anyways I love the car -- it was a great deal and I get compliments and looks because it's just different from the rest.

Dash, suspension, handling, controls and VERY spacious than Toyota or Hyundai. It's quiet on the freeway and city driving.

Although there is some small issues with some of the paneling rattling or loose plastics... it's no biggy cuz it's a solid structure. The speakers on it may need to be changed, it sounds a bit cheap. The ONLY annoying part of it is the head rest for the driver and the passenger... it's a bit angled much.

Very good, but still lacking
By Sam

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car after owning many minivans. Most of the time I don’t have my family onboard, so it is a waste of $ and fuel to drive around a bigger size vehicle. First time for me to own a foreign vehicle. Overall I am impressed with the quality of everything, everything works nicely together. I love the small sport-sized steering wheel, good handling (some body lean, though), no squeaks & rattles; overly well built. Fuel economy so far is not that great (about 23mpg average), but having just 1,700 miles, I hope it will improve with time. I miss the illuminated power window switches - mirror switches which I use once in a lifetime is lighted, but window switches are not (except driver's)!

Small steering wheel, sporty feel, good handling, no squeaks or rattles, quality of controls, knobs & stalks. Cruise control are nice on the steering wheel, but too dim. I also love AUX IN, but it's very difficult to reach w/ 1 hand.

Remote trunk release, turning radius, extendable sun visor, variable speed wipers, wipers to cover more of windshield, improve stereo, improve road noise, door grab handle, lighted controls 4 windows / ignition key ring, light glove box, lumbar, ext. temp. gauge, bluetooth, ditch Japanese horn sound. I would also like front lamps to come on when you open front door.

Very nice car and 60% US part contents
By frank875

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Very nice car, very reliable, I don't even think will I make it anywhere. Great gas mileage. Assembled in East Liberty Ohio with 60% US part contents...check out some Pontiacs G3- G4s, etc. Some 100% Japan. The only bad thing I have to say about the Civic...that it wouldn't hurt to get some snow tires for snow, my escort handled better in the snow. Other then that, I always get people looking at my car, very nice looking car and great style.

Interior...exterior.

Need snow tires for winter driving...for snow.

Awesome Gas Mileage
By Rick

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have 9000 miles on my Honda Civic. This is the 5th Honda I've owned and one of the best. I average 44 MPG after 9000 miles and yes I keep track after each fill-up. It's fun to drive and I really enjoy the split dash design. It has adequate low end pickup but highway passing won't set you back in the seat. The car excels in its mission of mixed highway and town driving. The ride is sport-like but some may call it harsh. It has a tight firm ride which I enjoy. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent. I would recommend more outlets in the front interior area, but this is a rather picky criticism.

Split dash, excellent gas mileage and driving characteristics. It's fun to drive.

More outlets in the front seat area.