Used 2008 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Laughable Build Quality
By Patrick

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this 2008 Honda Civic Ex brand new. Although the gas mileage is great I was averaging 33 mpg. Everything else about this car is horrible. I have been to the dealer countless times to fix suspension issues and rattles all over the car pretty much everywhere from the moon roof to the dash and pillars. The car only has 13k miles and most of the tire tread is gone. Also the road noise is really bad.

Gas mileage, 2 tier dash.

Increase your build quality by adding some sound deadening. Everything in the car rattles. Improve road noise. Improve interior panels and have them line up correctly.

Best car I have owned
By arcticracer

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic at the peak of the gas prices in 2008 in Anchorage. The trip home a week later 350 miles, I got almost 47 MPG. Now with 15K miles, our overall MPG is over 33. That's with studded snow tires half the year which drop it to about 30. 20-50 below temps here are routine, and the Civic has a GREAT heater we really depend on. It is a blast to drive, ours has a 5-speed (hard to find), and it drives best if you short shift to use the ample torque of the smooth as silk engine. It doesn't lug or stumble even at 1000 RPM. Steering is nimble, sporty, and neutral. Only gripes: Poor radio, doesn't handle multiple strong stations well, and wipers-only 1 intermittent setting.

Cool dash, sporty look, great engine, good handling.

Add more intermittent wiper settings, improve radio-lousy performance.

Buy a civic thinking it will b amazing...
By Megh

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May of 2008, 8 thousand miles later I needed new brakes in the front. Got literally yelled at for driving the car too hard. 8000 miles later, need new brakes again, go into new dealership, they tell me my calipers are defective. 2 months later there is a creaking from my front right, dealer says defective axle. My experience with this car is that it has a lot of defective parts, and Honda just doesn't seem to care anymore. I also drive an 88 prelude si, and the old clutch felt better then the brand new one on the civic.

The only thing good about it is it's sporty appearance, and when it wants to go fast, it does.

Need better quality on parts going onto Honda's new cars.

Not all that
By Deb

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car because of the Civic reliability and mostly because of resale value. I put a lot of miles on my cars and I need a good resale when I go to trade or sell them. I had 2 Hyundai Elantras prior to this car and my Elantra was a lot better car if you ask me. It was much quieter and felt more luxurious, even though it was still sporty and the gas mileage I got was the same. I also had an Accord at one time and it seems Honda cars have a "harder" ride, lots of bumps, lots of noise. Am looking to see what else I can get in 2010 since I'm not too impressed with this car. As someone else said, the struts are noisy, lots of creaks, cabin/wind noise, crappy stereo, etc.

Zippy car, easy to pass other cars, can fit in small spaces.

Better suspension, better cabin insulation, better stereo, less plastic inside.

Great but could use some design changes
By GLB360

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great car. I bought it for the reputation, safety rating and gas mileage. Pros: drove from Los Angeles to Dallas and got 36 hwy and up to 46 when not using the A/C, very “zippy” and fun to drive. Huge windshield allowing passenger to prop feet up on dash, adequate room inside and trunk. Cons: sometimes acts like it wants to stall when idling. Front brakes replaced at 22,000 miles (not covered by warranty). I was told this was due to driving in LA traffic which I believe; CD player died so entire audio system replaced 8 months after purchase (covered by warranty) and lots of road noise. Locked keys in car due to automatic locking system - very annoying!

Outside style. Received many compliments.

Where’s the ashtray? I don’t smoke but need a place to keep spare change! Trunk does not “lift up” meaning if the trunk lid and window both raised up it would be easier to get things like my bicycle and small furniture pieces in the car with rear seat folded down!