Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 570 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Disappointed by this model
By lafreewarian

2008 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned Hondas for over 25 years.
While the gas mileage of my 2008 Civic is good, the interior noise is irritating, the headrest not in a comfortable position, and after 22,000 miles I had to purchase 4 new tires.
The passenger side automatic door lock stopped working and had to be replaced.
As of 2012 the car has only 28,000 miles.
My last Honda, a 1990 Acura Legend, was a great car and is still going strong.
Never any problems with interior and few with engine.
I won't buy a Civic again.

I will never buy a honda again!
By hatehonda1

2008 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Like I said I will never buy a honda again... prior to this car I had a Pontiac Sunfire which was way less expensive!! And more reliable.

I have gone through 4 sets of tires (97ks)... and ignored by my local Honda. Then contacted Honda Canada who told me that my local Honda said they only did a visual inspection of my tires for my wear!! Honda Canada as been less then helpful that I gave up. I am so mad at Honda I will never buy another Honda car sucks as bad as the service!!!!!!!

NOTHING!

Listen to your customers and be helpful. Paid 28 grand for a car that I have had to replace tires nearly every year.

Econ class do it urself car
By jmarloe

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought mine in early 2008 for 18.5 at 5%. It now has 98k miles on it, has been used for driving around the bay area in Cali for a job, multi trips from Cali to TX, and for the last 3 yrs I've used it for pizza delivery in TX. Some repairs I have done myself are replacing both cv axels at 70k for $160, tires at 55k miles with good-yrs $540, the starter at 90k for $132. I am by no means a mechanic I bought some basic tools, spent a few hrs researching and as you can see from other reviews I saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars doing it myself.
This car has been through a lot but still runs like new and feels as though it will for another 98k.

Consistently good mileage 28-30 city 36-40 hwy. Low priced car as for mentioned bought new for 18,500 automatic with ac. Doing the repairs myself I have found that all of the original parts I have replaced were manufactured in the USA, and I think it is cool that Honda gave our country the jobs that made the car that I drive. Inexpensive aftermarket parts for repairs and most repairs really were not that difficult to figure out. Reliability. Prob the most Eco friendly of any gas powered car.

Hard seats, cheap material used for interior upholstery, the original carpets started molding and had to be thrown out id rather just have metal floors, original sun visors broke because the socket for the hinges were made out of thin plastic but replaced for free under the 100k warranty and new ones seem sturdy, unless you buy highest quite rating tires it is pretty loud while driving luckily they tend to be mid price ranged and high mileage, windshield wipers look cool but are pretty ridiculous to figure out for replacement, the starter is kinda in a tight spot for no particular reason haha it was fun, I wish Honda would include a do it yourself repair book.

troublesome
By charley33

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have this civic since new.
Its got 60k miles.
During that time I have the cv joint replace 5 times and battery replaced once under warranty.
I had the starter replaced once at 40k miles for $500 and engine mount replaced once at 59k miles for $300.
Now I think my civic has a suspension problem.
I wonder if honda quality have declined or my dealership (northwest honda, MD) is incompetent and causing problems.

The best thing about my civic is its looks and its driving dynamics. well until now with its suspension problem.

Sorry Guys but I guess I bought a Lemon
By same_ole_ford

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

First the maintenance Rear tires have prematurely worn out twice due to a faulty alignment set up from Honda which they had refused to own up to even though they published a service bulletin about the problem. Left front drive shaft failed 42,000 miles replaced both rear wheel bearings at 65,000 miles now the rear shocks are leaking fluid and must be replaced as well. Also there is a Service bulletin about the engine block cracking and leaking antifreeze, which translates into a half done engine rebuild as Honda will not replace the whole engine. Everyone here talks about 70 MPH = 40+ MPG I drive mine 55 to 60 mph on the interstate the best ever is 34MPG.
1st and last Honda anything I buy

Not the reliability

A car is the sum of its parts - Honda is failing to find decent parts for their American Built cars.