Used 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great mileage, poor performance
By Chad Olsen

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great all-around commuter car. I have gotten 36.4 MPG calculated by my own consumption figures (not the built-in computer) for the first 11,000 miles. I drive 50% freeway and 50% very slow Los Angeles stop-n-go. The car is very comfortable for a small car and the ergonomics and controls are the best I have experienced. Fuel economy suffers significantly with a/c, slow traffic, and hills. Put any two of those together and MPG drops to the teens. This car cannot climb Baxter street in Echo Park, one of LA's steepest streets. It literally stops half way up the hill and will not move further even with full throttle.

The Nav system is excellent and superior to BMW and Lexus. The storage in and around the console is ample and very convenient.

Improve performance, or provide a performance and economy mode. Modify the hybrid system to allow for electric-only.

No Economy, nor Honda Quality Here
By johncr12

I've owned a Honda, either a Civic or Accord since 1973. I purchased one of the first Honda Civics in the US (Wash DC). So I know the quality that Honda is capable of. This particular car I purchased over a Prius, based on the style and economy of the car. I can overlook the definite road noise that is present, but I cannot over look the low mileage, far below the est MPG of 40/50. The best I have gotten on a 180m trip was 30.8 mpg. As for city mpg, I average 28.7. Would I recommend this car, absolutely not. I currently have 420 miles on this vehicle (second car). She's not yet broken in, but looking at other's mpg- this car is really lacking. This will be my last Honda. Prius is right!

The style of the car.

Put better insulation in between chassis and road - road noise is quite noticeable. Make a hybrid engine that does what it is advertised to do! This car is a lemon according to the current mpg I am getting at just over 400 miles. We use it as our second car. It was to be our green car - which it is not.

Excellent car
By Derek

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I initially bought the hybrid to drive in the HOV lane to save time going to work. I got it just prior to gas prices going up so I paid invoice. This car has really impressed us on its ride and especially the mileage. I have gotten just over 40 mpg average since purchasing the vehicle 13,000 miles ago. I tried to be a miser on one tank and got 52 mpg. Handling is smooth and tight compared to the top heavy Prius. Great car, would buy another.

gas mileage

better radio system

Satisfied with MPG and Comfort
By Satisfied on MPG

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Looking for great MPG and comfort on long trips in car I plan to own over 10 years and 200,000 miles. Have owned the car for 2 months and have over 5,000 miles. MPG has ranged from 42 to 47 using 89 octane 90% Ethanol fuel in Midwest. 1/2 has been Interstate mileage at 75-80 mph with A/C. Best mileage was 47 mpg with 65 mph highway night time with no A/C. Car has been everything I hoped for! My concerns include (1) Auto stop engine cutoff at stop light/signs on hill and car will roll back if break not fully depressed. (2) Accelerating power at either a stopped position moving into traffic or passing at high speed is limited. Only 2nd new car bought. Prius wait 9 months; Civic 2 weeks.

Best car on the market
By steve

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Drove both Civic Hybrid & Prius before buying. Civic is quieter; has fewer distractions for operator; and gets even better mileage than advertised. We have taken several 400 mile trips and find the Civic to be stable and effortless on the highway. We have discovered that keeping cruise speed below 68 mph increases gas mileage by nearly 6%. I utilize GPS on other vehicles and would prefer a more comprehensive data base on the Civic. We love the car and feel that we made the right choice.

non shifting transmission (very smooth); engine shutdown when stopped at traffic light; excellent media (sound) system.

Improve GPS data base