Used 2008 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 274 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just Okay
By Rebecca

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Though not exciting to look at or drive, my Honda does the job. Love the gas mileage - that in and of itself is what makes the car a great buy. Comfort really lacks though. Driver seat is not good for long drives.

Gas Mileage

Better seats - hard and uncomfortable; Sometimes mysteriously does not start?

Great Car - Best Daily Driver
By Some_Guy

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

58,000 miles on the car, and no problems. None! Change the oil, and I'm averaging 39-40 mpg most of the time. Slight drop in mpg in the winter 36-37 at times in extreme cold. (NY winter) have seen as high as 44 mpg in summer on long trips. Not the hottest car on the road, and it won't win any races. But for an economical to own reliable car. It can't be beat.

Dash - I love the dash, and instrument panel.

Stock OEM times aren't that great in the snow. (I ran snow tires.)

Just Traded my Civic In...
By jbchickenhead

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 LX 5-speed brand new (with 10 miles), and it was a great car through and through. Although it is pretty weak in acceleration, it more than made up for this in gas mileage and reliability. Over the 2 years I owned the car, it was in the shop a total of 0 times! All this while averaging 34-35 mpg throughout the life of the car. A great car, but needs more luxury. I traded up to a fully loaded CR-V, but do occasionally miss the old Civic. Good car to buy, great reliability, great mpg! I traded it in with 50k miles on the ticker and I'm pretty sure another 150k miles would have been equally as trouble free...

MPG, TPMS, Smooth clutch, reliabilities

more comfort, a bit more acceleration, navi option on the LX, get rid of the annoying beep if you forget to put your belt on

Really nice car but
By SingleSock

2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a problems with the transmission almost immediately w/gears sticking. At a light I tried to shift back to 1st and it wouldn't budge. Happened 3x. It stranded me once at a light. Not good. Dealership found nothing but it hasn't happened since. Hmm. Then the stereo and AUX went out. I drove Toyotas for 30 yrs, but after my last one was a dud I switched to Honda and was very happy with my previous Civic. This one... not so much. Doesn't anyone make a truly high quality care anymore like Toyota used to?

The dash and interior set up are very attractive. Handles well and is fun to drive.

Quality control guys!! Duh.

Some flaws but I'm buying another one
By Toomanycars

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is above most Detroit built, easier to maintain, and improve. When I first got the car and did a long trip, I hit an amazing MPG of 55. I' haven't hit again: avg city 25-35, highway 35-45. I live where there are a lot of hills and often having a manual is a bad idea but it works great once u get use to it. I've had a tone of chevys, fords, and dodges, I bought a 99 civic and then this one. the 99 feels like a toy compared to the 08. the 08 has more capability and room than all my previous small cars. I don't leave a car as is sense no car is perfect, this is the first car I didn't need to do a single thing to the engine, but I did install a new air intake any ways :) helped with hp.

The engine.the amount of room in the car is above so many. nothing major in the car is plastic, I hated this in the domestics.The design of the interior is great, less plastic would be nice; that s the next thing I'll be doing.Here's to the 50th car I've owned; It is a keeper, it will be a classic.

Ground Clearance, standard seats are rough on long drives. The city mpg is lower than other cars in it's class. They didn't put the door seal on right. I went through the car once I got it and improved: tires, sway bar, air intake, brakes, and seats. I even added some foam to reduce road noise.