Used 2008 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 571 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The Best car you could ever have if you needed one made in 2008
By hiker323

2008 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I want to write this with tears because this is the most reliable car that I have owned and yesterday I found out that it will be
loss. A week ago my car was sandwiched between two other vehicles. It provided the best protection one could ask for. My back is gone and my front is damaged, but I have remained completely safe.

If you choose this car it is reliable, safe and will protect you well.

*though my car is gone, I want you to know how safe this car is & that it will protect you.

I feel safe, it drives very smooth and quite, I can plug in my mp3 player and gps. The radio system words well.

The only 2 things to keep in mind is if you are someone who lives in the heat or near mountains. The AC works. It's just not Arizona strong. The car accelerates. However, you just need to know how to down shift correctly. This car has been a blessing especially since she protected me. I just wish it would be fixable so I could take her back home.

104k miles, 4 years later....
By por944t

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have just rolled over to 104k. This was a certified pre-owned 20k car from the dealership when I purchased it 4 years ago. Overall, this car has been reliable, affordable, and relatively roomy.
I've averaged 29-30mpg in the city/35 highway. This car is my daily driver. Longest drive was 16 hours one way (at 90k) and no problems.
Next service appointment is for the water pump/belt- hopefully this goes smoothly.

I love the interior design, roomy, rear seats lay flat (headrests removed), huge trunk, flat floor across rear seat, peppy to drive, excellent gas mileage, fully adjustable front seat (great for shorties), seats four adults comfortably (lots of compliments), plenty of headspace, great efficient headlights, AC/heat work quickly, radio is decent... cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. 104k and still enjoy driving this car.

Other then the normal wear and tear items (oil changes, air filter changes, brakes/tires at 80K, wipers etc), the only "issue" I have had is with the driver sunvisor joint melting (dealer replaced free of charge). Gears have an awkward layout- only noticeable when going over large hills. Larger turn radius for a sedan and surprisingly large blind spots around vehicle.

Expensive 2008 Civic
By civic08owner

2008 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I found my 2008 Honda Civic to be more expensive to maintain than my 2000 Chrysler Sebring.

Here are the part replacements that needed to be done on my Civic in between 60-80k miles:
1. Driver's side sun visor
2. Main upper engine mount
3. Ventilation fan motor
4. Middle brake light

At 84k miles, there is another rattle/grumble from the engine when idling. I suspect it may be the lower engine mount.

Also, I average 25-27 mpg during winter months and 29-30 mpg during summer months, with mixed back road and highway driving.

My Sebring only needed wheel bearings and tie rod ends to be replaced.

I'm not impressed with Honda quality.

Over the Hill
By ukyagr

2008 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first year of ownership was great, but it has since been in steady decline. I bought this car based off of reputation, but unfortunately it will soon have to go. No longer can Honda claim reliability and high build quality with this vehicle. Problems include failing door locks, window motors, visors, blower fan electrical components, and A/C compressor failure. Honda has mailed extended warranties on paint and visors already. I expect eventual class action or warranty extension on the AC/blower issues - very common on this model. My dealer does not even charge me diagnostic fees on the AC or fan anymore. The car was babied and often garaged. All of these problems with only 62,000 miles.

Digital Dashboard, FM Tuning Wheel (as opposed to rocker switch), Solid Transmission, Comfortable Seats

Improve electrical components and systems. Improve reliability. Many components, switches, knobs, and finishings are excessively budget and cheap.

Minor issues
By donjames150

2008 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in December of 2008, it now has 97,000 miles 9 years later. The only "repair" has been to add 2 strong clips to fix the broken sun visor hinges that melt in the southern sun here in NC. And the paint job is of poor quality, but still good enough after 5 years. I had to have the AC charged last year. And brakes after 60k miles. Normal maintenance really. The passenger side front electric window motor is wearing out but still working. The factory tires were loud and hard riding. Do yourself a favor (and this goes for any car), buy the best tires you can afford. I like Goodyear ComforTred. They are quiet and give a softer ride, worth the extra money. Drives like new. Update: The lights for the gas gauge don't always work. Last year, 2016, I was told that the passenger front air bag was a factory recall. Still waiting for Honda to replace it. This year, 2017, they replaced the bad part.