Used 2008 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 276 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best car I have ever owned!
By Jake C

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I drive about 20k per year. This car takes my lead-foot abuse and has been such a great car. Drove from Indiana to California and back through ice, wind, sleet, snow, hail, and desert heat. This little car is a trooper. I get about 40 mpg on highway, 30 in city. No problems so far. Car had 11k when purchased in April of 09 and now has 40k. Had to replace the brake pads at 20k which kinda irritated me, but the overall quality of this car makes up for it.

I absolutely LOVE the "controversial" 3-Tier dash/speedo layout! Awkward for the 1st week, but once I did some highway driving I learned to appreciate it. The cup holders are perfectly placed as well as the slider armrest. I'm 6' and 280 lb and it's plenty of legroom for even big guys.

My only suggestion would be something Honda already did, get rid of that suede fabric. It has a tendency of making your shirt hike up, kinda annoying. I see the 2010's do not have this fabric. Good thing.

Good car for the money
By Roger

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car with 24 miles on it. It's been a good car. You're not going to blow anyone away off the line with the 1.8L engine, but you will get great gas mileage. I average around 39 mpg year round. Higher in the summer, lower in the winter. Nothing has broken yet, but it shouldn't on a three year old car. I do my own tires, own oil changes, and own repairs. The car is well designed and seems to be well built. I do have some issues with the paint. Honda did a poor job painting the car and I noticed several areas where there's some blob under the clear coat. Like dirt or dust got on the car.

Well designed interior. 60/40 fold down seats are great.

Why doesn't anyone have a face / defrost setting on cars? NOBODY has this. I want that.

Great Car
By Wynonah

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great Car!! Here are the cars I have owned in the past few years. (I change my cars about every 6 months). I have a friend in the car business so when a new deal comes up we sell my car and get a new pre-owned one. I have had a Lexus ES300, Infinity I30, Two Lincoln Continentals and my last car was an Acura RL. I no longer look for or want another car. My 2008 Civic EX is a keeper.

I purchased it used with 48K miles on it. I currently have 60K. No problems whatsoever. I did a trans flush at 50K. Had the shop use 100% synthetic and what a difference. Car shifts smoothly as can be. Changed the tires to Michelin MXV4’s and the ride comfort enhanced greatly.

I do have 2 suggestions. They are not really complaints … more like disappointments. The EX is the upper level trim yet not stability control or heated mirrors. You have to get the leather package for that. Come on Honda! A $11,000 Kia has stability control! Other then that the car is Great!

First and last Honda
By mastermind

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Traded a '95 Camry for this brand new '08 Civic. Never owned a Honda product, but thought I had nothing to lose, given all the hype about Honda quality. Boy was that a mistake! Lousy gas mileage (never better than 25 mpg, but my much bigger Camry got 23), mechanical problems - worn out strut mounts, A/C quit working, 3 out of 4 electric door locks went bad, and the list goes on. Rented a Nissan Sentra last time my Civic was in the shop, and was astonished at how quiet it was on the highway compared to my Civic. This is my first AND LAST Honda product. Trading it in ASAP for a Toyota.

Fun to drive.

Better gas mileage, sound insulation to deal with deafening road noise, general quality.

Can't believe they actually said this
By Jason

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've always owned a Honda. Had my 08 hybrid and loved it for 2 years. July 10 they did a software "upgrade". Since that time the ima assist doesn't always work. Merging onto a freeway it just doesn't kick in. Brought it back to service, they drove it, saw it not work. They are literally telling me that this is how the car works now. So I have an assist motor that only sometimes kicks in. Do not buy a hybrid from Honda. I am so disappointed. I cannot believe someone says that with a straight face. Would I buy a car with 8 cylinders if 4 of them just didn't work sometimes?