Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 894 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

used 2006
By june1986

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

just bought this baby for 11k with 101k miles, looks new, runs great. 41 mpg so far avg(first week) im still learning how to drive more efficently and its fun! i was looking at the FT-86 but decided to wait and got this in the meantime. i thought i would be disappointed but once i saw it in the metal and sat inside that all changed. great for adventures and wallets(30$ to fill up and first tank i got 460miles).

I would like it if i had more control over the assist and charging features.

Going strong after 6 years
By viccard

2006 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in Jan 2006, since then put 110K miles on.

Had all the common problems described here: had rear bearings replaced by the dealership at 20-30K miles. My sun-visor is held by couple giant paper clips. Transmission would sometimes skip 3rd gear (happens once in a year, goes back to normal after restart). Most of the backlights under the heat/AC buttons are burned out. Battery died at 3 years. Power outlet and door lock had to be fixed.

Seems like a long list but really it's perfectly usable and all non-warranty covered repairs totalled to ~$300 over 6 years.
There is no timing belt to change (it has timing chain). Rear brakes lasted 100K miles before needing replacement.

40mpg highway, comfy seats.

LOVE my Civic Hybrid!
By dev87

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navi (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car in November 2009 after making a move to Arkansas. I purchased it with only 48,000 miles on it, plus I lucked out because it is fully loaded with Navi and AUX input for my iPod. Had to drive two hours to Tulsa to get it but it was well worth it; the drive home was so much fun I didnt want to get out of the car when we finally made it back! Its been to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, and I am always the one volunteering to drive because I love it so much. The turn signals on the mirrors are an awesome touch. Has been in the shop twice but only for recall fixes. Would absolutely buy again

GAS MILEAGE!! Navi, turn signals on mirrors, spacious enough for 5'7" and 6'1" drivers, big back seats for 60+lb Golden Retriever

Would have loved a sunroof. Only thing I miss about my 99 Accord

A buy to be proud of
By del21

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in April 2006 with 3 miles for my high school daughter when she was in the 10th grade. She is about to start her senior year in college. The car now has 49771 miles. I have never had to have it in the shop. I have only purchased new steel rims to replace bent ones that were her fault. It has been nice knowing that she is in a safe and reliable car 400 miles away from home in college. I would recommend this car for anyone. The trunk is roomy to carry all her things home after each semester. It is fun to drive and 5 years later she still gets compliments on it. Worth every dollar i spent on it and it is paid for.

Reliability Safety Gas Saver

none noted.

inflated popularity hype
By angelwings1

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Navi, Summer Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Do you know what car sales people do when its slow? They create free email accounts, fake user names and positive experiences and then post them on this and other consumer review web sites.
Wow did this car put me on a financial roller coaster. If you think reliability when you think Honda, you have been brainwashed.
Everywhere, I mean everywhere I took this car for a repair, I would get a report card of failing components with price tags and labor costs equal to 20 percent of the value of the car! I bought this car twice after 4 years, I mean, the same car cost me 22,000 in maintenance and purchase price was 22,000 4 years B4.
Best advice if you like this car, buy one new, sell after a yr.

Driving it after it was repaired, knowing I had a month before it would break down. It gave me time to save some money for the next repair. Also, the day I sold the car.

Quality control for the steel used in components like control arms and steering stabilizers, these are felonious in their ability to maintain integrity of safely controlling the vehicle.