Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 896 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Poorly Built, Unreliable Honda
By drgoodson

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and I am very unhappy with it. I first had the problem with the struts/supports in the rear end. One place thought it was bad shocks, but a former Honda certified mechanic figured it out and replaced them after I had worn out 2 sets of tires. Now I've just had the problem with the belt tensioner bolt, although my car was not recalled, and that cost me another chunk of change. I previously owned 3 used Hondas and they were all very good and reliable cars. Not so with this one, so I would advise everyone not to buy one of these as a used car. No more Hondas for me based upon my very poor experience with this car! Whatever happened to Honda reliability?

Today, I can't think of any!

Honda should build reliable cars like they used to, and offer their loyal customers something more than a lame apology when Honda builds one with this many problems! Now I know why Honda only provides a 36,000 mile warranty. Take a lesson from Hyunadi in backing your product.

Poor Reliability
By jessecornel

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

From the time that we bought this vehicle new from a dealer, we have been disapointed. Within a few weeks the battery failed, and was replaced. Within a year the condensor of the airconditer failed and was replaced. Due a manufacturers defect the exhause bubbled the rear plastic bumper, and Honda denied responsibility. At 35000 miles the struts wore out and honda denied responsibility. At 60000 miles the air conditioning compressor failed.

At 75000 miles both the front struts and rear shocks failed causing a $900 repair and then a new set of tires. So the struts failed twice in 75000 miles. There is no warranty, and Honda denies culpability.

It has as nice ride when it is working.

Re-engineer the following: 1. Exhause and rear bumper 2. Air conditioning system 3. Shocks and struts

QUALITY, COMFORT, SAFETY
By molloy10

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had "0" problems with my Civic. the car has performed better than I expected when I received the car in 2006. I had a minor front end collision back in 2008 and the service/collision team at rick case handled the repair quickly and to my satisfaction.
I hope to be a Honda customer for a long time thanks to the great service at Rick Case.

ride, handling, mileage

the 2013 is awesome. wish I could afford a new one now!

Some thoughts about my 06 civic LX coupe (manual)
By jack_handy

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car "newish" as a dealer demo from Richmond Hill Honda with +- 12,000 km on it. I had the HPF skirt package installed before I bought it.
Today, (Dec 2012) I have over 210k kms on it. I sometimes tow a 700lb trailer with it for camping, I lug a car full of DJ gear with it too. This car's been a delight - a REAL PERFORMER.
Muffler went at 100k, front rotors at 150k, battery after 4 yrs; all typical stuff if you ask me.
I do the plugs myself and do all the other stuff on schedule.
"This car doesn't owe me nothin' :) " and has been 100% reliable ALWAYS. Clearcoat on the hood has failed (cracked/split) and others have experienced same (on forums);
I'm living with it.

Love the shifter and clutch. Love the design. Love the HPF skirt package. Love the steering wheel size. Love the grey fabric on the seats and huge front glass.

Steering wheel surface has worn off in spots, shift knob boot and knob itself worn out by 150k kms, driver's sun visor kept falling down. Fixed using 2 nuts/bolts through it to secure the arm within the visor. Stock speakers sound WAY better since replacing factory deck with a JVC unit. I replaced factory horns with Freeway Blasters the first week. Headlights are now weak with the frosted plastic surface. There is a factory geometry issue with the rear upper control arms, preventing proper alignment. (I went thru 3 sets bumpy/uneven tread before solving this) Get Honda's kit or get longer after-market arms for 0deg. camber. I have 225/40/17's for summer. Added turning lights to front .

Best Honda I've owned so far!
By hondaluv3r2006

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic from a private party back in March of 2012 with 136,000 miles already on it.
All I can say so far since I've owned it is one word... Awsome! Even with so many miles on it I've had zero major problems with it. Only minor problem so far was I had to replace the cowling along the base of the winshield due to the passenger side became unclipped and interfered with wiper arm operation. Bought and installed the part myself and problem gone. Also part of the plastic handle on the ebrake is coming lose but still works just fine. It's my first Civic, but I've always driven Hondas cause of their long history of durability. Way to go Honda!! Keep bringing us the good cars we love!!

I love the digital speedometer, but it takes getting used to versus a dial speedo, but it cools so cool! Car seems pretty quick when you step on it. I love the i-vtec system in it as it helps a lot with fuel economy.

The only thing I would say here is that Honda should have corrected the rear upper control arm issue before releasing the car. I had to pay to get mine replaced because it was over the 35k to get it done no cost. I had to replace all tires after too so with the $500 repair for the control arms, and the $600 i spent on new tires, it cost a fortune to fix when it should have not been an issue from the start. Other than that, I have no complains about the car. I love it!!