Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 894 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

QUALITY, COMFORT, SAFETY
By molloy10

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had "0" problems with my Civic. the car has performed better than I expected when I received the car in 2006. I had a minor front end collision back in 2008 and the service/collision team at rick case handled the repair quickly and to my satisfaction.
I hope to be a Honda customer for a long time thanks to the great service at Rick Case.

ride, handling, mileage

the 2013 is awesome. wish I could afford a new one now!

Some thoughts about my 06 civic LX coupe (manual)
By jack_handy

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car "newish" as a dealer demo from Richmond Hill Honda with +- 12,000 km on it. I had the HPF skirt package installed before I bought it.
Today, (Dec 2012) I have over 210k kms on it. I sometimes tow a 700lb trailer with it for camping, I lug a car full of DJ gear with it too. This car's been a delight - a REAL PERFORMER.
Muffler went at 100k, front rotors at 150k, battery after 4 yrs; all typical stuff if you ask me.
I do the plugs myself and do all the other stuff on schedule.
"This car doesn't owe me nothin' :) " and has been 100% reliable ALWAYS. Clearcoat on the hood has failed (cracked/split) and others have experienced same (on forums);
I'm living with it.

Love the shifter and clutch. Love the design. Love the HPF skirt package. Love the steering wheel size. Love the grey fabric on the seats and huge front glass.

Steering wheel surface has worn off in spots, shift knob boot and knob itself worn out by 150k kms, driver's sun visor kept falling down. Fixed using 2 nuts/bolts through it to secure the arm within the visor. Stock speakers sound WAY better since replacing factory deck with a JVC unit. I replaced factory horns with Freeway Blasters the first week. Headlights are now weak with the frosted plastic surface. There is a factory geometry issue with the rear upper control arms, preventing proper alignment. (I went thru 3 sets bumpy/uneven tread before solving this) Get Honda's kit or get longer after-market arms for 0deg. camber. I have 225/40/17's for summer. Added turning lights to front .

Best Honda I've owned so far!
By hondaluv3r2006

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic from a private party back in March of 2012 with 136,000 miles already on it.
All I can say so far since I've owned it is one word... Awsome! Even with so many miles on it I've had zero major problems with it. Only minor problem so far was I had to replace the cowling along the base of the winshield due to the passenger side became unclipped and interfered with wiper arm operation. Bought and installed the part myself and problem gone. Also part of the plastic handle on the ebrake is coming lose but still works just fine. It's my first Civic, but I've always driven Hondas cause of their long history of durability. Way to go Honda!! Keep bringing us the good cars we love!!

I love the digital speedometer, but it takes getting used to versus a dial speedo, but it cools so cool! Car seems pretty quick when you step on it. I love the i-vtec system in it as it helps a lot with fuel economy.

The only thing I would say here is that Honda should have corrected the rear upper control arm issue before releasing the car. I had to pay to get mine replaced because it was over the 35k to get it done no cost. I had to replace all tires after too so with the $500 repair for the control arms, and the $600 i spent on new tires, it cost a fortune to fix when it should have not been an issue from the start. Other than that, I have no complains about the car. I love it!!

GREAT
By mendezaldo

2006 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car in '06 and has had 130,000 miles. The car had yet broken down or had any signs of slowing down. The interior is comfortable with cool digital speedometer. Very smooth ride and great brakes. Unfortunately, I got in a car accident and totaled my civic completely. The car flipped over and landed upside down. Miraculously, I only came out with a few scratches and bruises. I did not break anything at all and was on my feet the same day! This car is a great, safe, car for any person. Good Job Honda.

interior is great and looks nice when driving at night. Very smooth and comfortable.

Transmission fails at 93k
By cchlebek

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in the fall of 06 to enjoy more than double the fuel economy of my pickup truck.
I was not disappointed as most tanks averaged in the upper 30s.
I was considering a cobalt at the time but went with something that was predicted to hold its value better as I wanted to drive it until it died.
It died at just over 90k miles with a bad transmission solenoid. (cost $3k to fix)
I just couldn't believe a "reliable Honda" could require a rebuilt transmission with less than 100k miles.
I've been driving the Cruze for almost a year now and the handling in snow is so much more secure than the Civic.

The display and dashboard layout (some disliked it when first released) made the front seat feel very spacious. The gas mileage was better than expected and often in the low 40s in hwy driving. The seats are very comfortable and the car engine noise is quiet and and from a small engine, the acceleration was smooth. Cup holders for the rear passengers in the center fold down seat are a bonus. The EX package with alloy wheels, sunroof and power package are a nice addition on this vehicle.

A longer lasting automatic trasmission! Driving in snowy/slippery conditions felt treacherous and I was often the slowest on the road because I felt like I could spin out at any moment. I got new tires and there was no improvement. The driver's side visor broke after a couple of years and would not stay up any longer. The paint looked great when new (white) but chipped very easily.