Used 2006 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Going strong after 6 years
By viccard

2006 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car in Jan 2006, since then put 110K miles on.

Had all the common problems described here: had rear bearings replaced by the dealership at 20-30K miles. My sun-visor is held by couple giant paper clips. Transmission would sometimes skip 3rd gear (happens once in a year, goes back to normal after restart). Most of the backlights under the heat/AC buttons are burned out. Battery died at 3 years. Power outlet and door lock had to be fixed.

Seems like a long list but really it's perfectly usable and all non-warranty covered repairs totalled to ~$300 over 6 years.
There is no timing belt to change (it has timing chain). Rear brakes lasted 100K miles before needing replacement.

40mpg highway, comfy seats.

Bad product and customer service
By TU DOAN

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This Honda Civic model is not reliable. Within 3 years, I had to replace 2 sun visors under bumper to bumper warranty. And the last sun visor broke very soon after my warranty expire. Total 3 sun visors broke under normal or lightly uses. At 42,000 miles, the engine died on free way in 07/2010. I almost got hit by a car behind me. The police had to push my car to the side to clear the traffic on the freeway. The pivot bolt broke the water bump and caused damages. Although my car was still under the Power-Train warranty but the Honda dealer keep my car for 1 week and didn't provide a free rental car. I was late and left early for work everyday. I will never buy cars made by Honda.

Fuel economy

Suspension issues
By halfahawk

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

New in '05. Great mileage around 40 mpg on the highway when i wasn't a lead foot. I had the same suspension problems as everyone else. Dealership replaced the control arms free of charge. I am now on my 4th set of tires at 70k. I was ready to get rid of it but I thought i'd replace the suspension and perhaps address partly the issue that causes the tire wear (rear tires toe in when under load). So i put new eibach springs and sway bars and tokico shocks. WOW! Its a whole different animal. It handles amazing now. No more squirmy rear end in the rain, doesn't feel like the rear end is going to fall off when i hit a bump. guess I'll keep it for a while longer now.

mpg. looks. digital speedo (I thought i wouldn't like it). never left me sit. 5 years old, still looks new.

Rear suspension. cheap speakers. cheap oem tires (pet peeve with any new car i ever bought)

Suspension problem
By steve

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The 2006, and 2007 Honda Civics have a rear suspension geometry problem that causes rapid rear tire wear, roaring noise from the rear and vibrations at highway speeds. See Honda Service Bulletin 08-001. Mine has had this problem and working with the dealer and Honda America it still hasn't been resolved. Looking at blogs it seems to be a common problem that has caused a few accidents and worries over possible fatal accident occurring with tire separation.

Honda needs to fix the problem and the government needs to do a recall.

I still have fun driving this car!
By Adamk911

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Honda Civic in 2006 right after the new body style came out. I had 2 cars breaking down traded them both in for my Civic. Except for normal maintenance I have had no problems with the car at all. I still have fun driving it! This is an excellent gas miles car as well average 38 on the hwy and 32 in the city. I am a Honda fan for life I just purchased a 2009 Ridgeline cause I love that truck. My Honda Civic will be with me until it dies and maybe even after it does.

Fun to drive, fast, fuel economy, comfort, reliability has never let me down.

The blind spots were a problem at first but as long as you actually turn your head while merging there isn't a problem.