Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 896 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Fifth Honda, and still getting better!
By Tom J.

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since getting my Civic EX in June '06, I have had a few issues with it. Starting at around 50 mph, there is a low whistle heard at the front part of the car. I thought it was the mirrors or the wheels and tires. Took it to dealer (less than 1000 miles at the time), who could not fix the problem. Said they are all like that. Not a good answer. Also, the one-touch up and down switch for the driver's window is WAAAAAAY too sensitive and hard to regulate. I'm going to talk to the dealership to see if they can bypass or switch it out to a "normal" window switch. The car as a whole is screwed together very well. Great fit and finish. Mine is royal blue pearl metallic, with the beige interior.

Dash and speedo are futuristic and works great. Nice quality and choice of tires. Quality of interior materials is great, for a "premium" small economy car. Close-hugging wheel wells give it that hunkered-down look.

Get rid of the one-touch driver's window switch. Offer an optional 6- speed tranny, like the Si sedan now has. And Honda should offer some brighter colors for their cars. They are very conservative, when it comes to color variety.

2006 Honda Civic EX
By CentPADon

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We've owned our Honda for one year now, and it never ceases to amaze us how such a frugal car can feel like a much larger sedan! We drove it cross country last summer, and averaged 42 mpg highway miles. It's my wife's daily driver, and she gets about 32 mpg around town. We love this car, and we can't say enough good about it!

We like the new split dash, keeping the most watched gauges separate with the digital speed right out in front in an almost "heads up" display. We liked the fact that the EX comes with everything we wanted, without adding one accessory. The stereo sounds better quality than some expensive cars .

One complaint is that you should be able to program how MANY doors unlock when you shift the car into park. We're having a difficult time adjusting to having unlock the passenger door all the time manually. Also, on long drives my right leg comes to rest on the hard parking brake handle, ouch!

good car, reliability issues
By xr72p

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is a safe, very fuel efficient car (35+ hwy MPG) that handles well and is comfortable to drive. However, This car has been back to Honda dealerships to replace the AC compressor, to check for coolant leaks, and three times to fix a leaking power steering pump.

Style, efficiency, standard safety features

change the two-tiered dashboard to a more conservative style.

Buy it... or die tryin'
By Vekis

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Most bang for the buck on the road. A really fun ride. The first car I ever just wanted to take for a ride for no good reason. Great acceleration and handling. Quick, responsive and a real eye-catcher. The habenero red pearl looks terrific.

Gear box. Pedals. Console. The surprising room.

The soft textured interior gets scratched easily.

Best car I've owned
By Craig, Cincinnati

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After 8 months and 11,000 miles, I'm still thrilled with my purchase. It's very simple to drive, all controls are handy and well laid out, it has a nice ride, it has the power when you need it, and it brakes well. Doesn't hurt that it looks good. My only complaint is I'm personally getting lower MPG than advertised (only getting around 26 normally, best was 31 on pure highway). I'm also wondering about the tank size. I've driven it down to the last dot of the gas gauge, had the extra light on announcing low gas for many miles, but when I filled up it only took 10.4 gallons to fill. Where's the other 2.8 gallons this car claims to have (13.2 gallon tank listed)?

For a small car, impressed with the trunk space. I've fit 3 golf bags multiple times, very pleasantly surprised. Well laid out, simple, good looking interior, good looking exterior. Despite complaints on gas mileage, still best mileage I've ever had in a car.

Left front has a major blind spot due to the support structure for the rather long, sloped front windshield. Mainly comes into play going around left bends, as blocks view of oncoming lane. Not sure how to improve without changing the car's good looking design.