Used 2006 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Poorly Built, Unreliable Honda
By drgoodson

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and I am very unhappy with it. I first had the problem with the struts/supports in the rear end. One place thought it was bad shocks, but a former Honda certified mechanic figured it out and replaced them after I had worn out 2 sets of tires. Now I've just had the problem with the belt tensioner bolt, although my car was not recalled, and that cost me another chunk of change. I previously owned 3 used Hondas and they were all very good and reliable cars. Not so with this one, so I would advise everyone not to buy one of these as a used car. No more Hondas for me based upon my very poor experience with this car! Whatever happened to Honda reliability?

Today, I can't think of any!

Honda should build reliable cars like they used to, and offer their loyal customers something more than a lame apology when Honda builds one with this many problems! Now I know why Honda only provides a 36,000 mile warranty. Take a lesson from Hyunadi in backing your product.

Poor Reliability
By jessecornel

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

From the time that we bought this vehicle new from a dealer, we have been disapointed. Within a few weeks the battery failed, and was replaced. Within a year the condensor of the airconditer failed and was replaced. Due a manufacturers defect the exhause bubbled the rear plastic bumper, and Honda denied responsibility. At 35000 miles the struts wore out and honda denied responsibility. At 60000 miles the air conditioning compressor failed.

At 75000 miles both the front struts and rear shocks failed causing a $900 repair and then a new set of tires. So the struts failed twice in 75000 miles. There is no warranty, and Honda denies culpability.

It has as nice ride when it is working.

Re-engineer the following: 1. Exhause and rear bumper 2. Air conditioning system 3. Shocks and struts

Best Honda I've owned so far!
By hondaluv3r2006

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic from a private party back in March of 2012 with 136,000 miles already on it.
All I can say so far since I've owned it is one word... Awsome! Even with so many miles on it I've had zero major problems with it. Only minor problem so far was I had to replace the cowling along the base of the winshield due to the passenger side became unclipped and interfered with wiper arm operation. Bought and installed the part myself and problem gone. Also part of the plastic handle on the ebrake is coming lose but still works just fine. It's my first Civic, but I've always driven Hondas cause of their long history of durability. Way to go Honda!! Keep bringing us the good cars we love!!

I love the digital speedometer, but it takes getting used to versus a dial speedo, but it cools so cool! Car seems pretty quick when you step on it. I love the i-vtec system in it as it helps a lot with fuel economy.

The only thing I would say here is that Honda should have corrected the rear upper control arm issue before releasing the car. I had to pay to get mine replaced because it was over the 35k to get it done no cost. I had to replace all tires after too so with the $500 repair for the control arms, and the $600 i spent on new tires, it cost a fortune to fix when it should have not been an issue from the start. Other than that, I have no complains about the car. I love it!!

GREAT
By mendezaldo

2006 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car in '06 and has had 130,000 miles. The car had yet broken down or had any signs of slowing down. The interior is comfortable with cool digital speedometer. Very smooth ride and great brakes. Unfortunately, I got in a car accident and totaled my civic completely. The car flipped over and landed upside down. Miraculously, I only came out with a few scratches and bruises. I did not break anything at all and was on my feet the same day! This car is a great, safe, car for any person. Good Job Honda.

interior is great and looks nice when driving at night. Very smooth and comfortable.

Transmission fails at 93k
By cchlebek

2006 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new in the fall of 06 to enjoy more than double the fuel economy of my pickup truck.
I was not disappointed as most tanks averaged in the upper 30s.
I was considering a cobalt at the time but went with something that was predicted to hold its value better as I wanted to drive it until it died.
It died at just over 90k miles with a bad transmission solenoid. (cost $3k to fix)
I just couldn't believe a "reliable Honda" could require a rebuilt transmission with less than 100k miles.
I've been driving the Cruze for almost a year now and the handling in snow is so much more secure than the Civic.

The display and dashboard layout (some disliked it when first released) made the front seat feel very spacious. The gas mileage was better than expected and often in the low 40s in hwy driving. The seats are very comfortable and the car engine noise is quiet and and from a small engine, the acceleration was smooth. Cup holders for the rear passengers in the center fold down seat are a bonus. The EX package with alloy wheels, sunroof and power package are a nice addition on this vehicle.

A longer lasting automatic trasmission! Driving in snowy/slippery conditions felt treacherous and I was often the slowest on the road because I felt like I could spin out at any moment. I got new tires and there was no improvement. The driver's side visor broke after a couple of years and would not stay up any longer. The paint looked great when new (white) but chipped very easily.