Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Not as expected
By Chris

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am disappointed with the MPG. I am averaging 36.3 MPG which isn't far from its original non-hybrid. Honda claims its because I live in Florida and we use the AC year round and that lowers the MPG. Also, the AC doesn't work while the car is sitting idle.

It does save some $$ on gas.

Better MPG and some power. I think an 18-wheeler could pass me with acceleration.

Totally worth it!
By Julie

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

OK, I'll admit, the sticker mpg of 47 highway is high - I usually get about 40mpg on the highway setting the cruise at 70. And the pick-up is a little slow (I used to have a 6 cyl, so it's an adjustment). In town (which is most of my driving anyway to work/school) I get 47/48 mpg, which is fantastic, and I still love how it "shuts off" at stoplights -all my friends just think this is the coolest. Sure, if money is the only reason you're buying, you'll probably never make up the cost unless gas reaches $5 a gallon, but if you want a reliable car that's easier on the environment and still nice on the pocketbook (a $30 fill up lasts me well over a month) this car is for you.

Gas mileage, of course. Plus Civics in general are just fun to zip around in!

There's only two things that could make it better: (1) being US- made (I live in Michigan, this is an issue) and (2) the silver metal around the gear shift reflects the sun RIGHT into my eyes sometimes - colored plastic, though not as pretty, would be better

Problems with electric system IMA
By fred

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Aug 2005 and 15000mi @ yr. For over 6 weeks not able to drive car with use of electric IMA battery system, new EMC computer needed, none available and there is a national back order. I question if there is a defect or is this normal, 6wks, plus another component for starting the car has to be replaced. Also in the order for the new computer EMC, nothing was written up on the repair, I just have a card with the part number on it and was told it was ok to drive because the gasoline part of the system still functions. (that was until it needed component to start the engine) Am slightly frustrated with the process, the dealers have been nice, but it all makes wonder about the hybird.

Mileage, blue light color of dash, and roomy floor space of back seat and feel of car to the highway

Sound proof, automatic lights on/off with door opener and locks and trip mileage should with the simple math of of miles driven and gallons of gas purchased

Great Car
By Ahsan

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think that's the best car for those who drives state-to-state . Great mileage. Since I have this car, I never get any troubles. You can't go wrong with Honda! I hardly see any maintance .... runs good!

My favorite feature is speed meter, it glows and tells you how many miles you are getting per gallon!

Comfort level & need better shocks. Most important, it's too low to the road, more likely the car body hits the road when small bump pops up

Hybrid the Best Buy
By Jackson

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

An excellent drive. Slightly overated mileage estimates but not enough to be concerned about. Some inattention to excessive glue traces on front and rear glass which is not expected from Honda. Definitely a worthwhile buy with gas prices as they are and the need to go to "Green" vehicles to reduce pollution. I traded an SUV so its size took a little getting used to but worth it. A good solid ride.

The motor assist display (IMA) and the current mileage (mpg) displays really help save gasoline. The car teaches you to drive it.

Attention to windshield and rear glass installation. Too much glue smear. A pull-out drawer beneath the driver and passenger seats would really help increase the storage capacity.