Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 404 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Reliable But Poor Creature Comforts
By Spike710

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my EX 5 years ago and am replacing it with an Altima. Like all Hondas, it is cheap to operate, averaged 30 MPG, car looks good. But my back gets beat up in this car, so trips that exceed 30 minutes are painful, you feel every bump in the road and the road noise is so loud, you have to speak up on the phone or with passengers.

Operating costs, reliability, looks

Noise attenuation, supporting seats

Cheap little civic
By John

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just for the record: "this was my wife's car before we got married, I would never have bought such a tiny little plastic car." Honda reliability everyone says? At about 10k miles the car wouldn't start, the lights and dashboard lights were flickering on and off every time I would try to start the car. This happened about 4 times. Every time this happened I needed a jump start, and had to wait about 1/2 hour for the car to calm down so I can restart it. About 1/2 a dozen times the car just would not start (even after replacing the battery). The interior? as cheap as they come, non- stop squeaks throughout the winter, NON-STOP! At about 40k miles the gas door would not even open anymore.

The front headlights

Gas mileage, I got only 22-24 in mixed city and hwy. Interior and exterior build quality. Obviously, if Honda stands by its reliability reputation they should stick to it. Fix that gas door too. Chairs are very uncomfortable.

Inexpensive AND cheap
By inittowinit

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Well, here goes. I bought in '05 because i had a low self esteem. I wanted a car with a seat so horrible, i would hurt when i got to where i was going. And i got it! i also wanted an engine so small that 1967 beetles could outrun me. guess what, i got that too. i was also so totally looking forward to cramming me and three of my 6'3" buddies in the car to see if the performance got noticeably worse and how uncomfortable we could get. and how well the brakes worked when we now essentially doubled the weight of the car. actually the brakes are good. it didn't have ABS b/c it's not standard and i hate ABS. the gas door release broke, passenger window broke, and a flat - totally Honda's fault.

the "speeding ticket reduction system" built in. the car is so small and tinny, it will feel like I'm absolutely flying through a subdivision and look down and only be doing 28-30. also, actually on the highway, trans geared so low engine really screams at the 70 MPH speed limit so you don't go faster.

mazda - zoom zoom

This car will last a lifetime!
By Honda Nut

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 106,000 Miles 3 years ago it now has 206,000 and haven't had one problem yet! I just drove it from Fl to Ma. A 1500 mile trip and got 42 mpg! My wife bought a 2003 civic brand new and has 137,000 miles on hers and hasn't been back to the dealer, EVER! The dumbest thing we did when we bought hers was buy an extended warranty. LOL I will buy these civics for the rest of my life. I am now looking for one for my mom.

Reliability, mileage, stereo and fun to drive

Don't change a thing!

2005 Honda Civic EX is a tin can
By Quality isn't there

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Honda Civic ex special edition has ridiculously thin metal and a lot of plastic. So thin that you can easily put your foot through the car. The car only has two front air bags, so this definitely isn't a safe car. This car gets bad mileage and suffers from a number of engineering problems. The automatic choke comes on every time you start the car -- even if you don't need it and you can't shut it off until the car moves. In addition, the choke is too strong and just sucks fuel. Also 5th speed doesn't drop rpm sufficiently and you end up getting poor mileage at the higher speed. You are lucky to get 34 highway, while the 2001 Civic ex automatic got 36. This car should get 38.

Sound system is great, Honda replace engine belts with timing chains in 2003. Transmission appears to be solid and Honda makes a great clutch. Back seat folds down and makes the car like a hatchback. This allows you to haul longer packages or parcels.

Drivers and rear passenger areas is too small and Honda needs to add at least 2-3 inches to both. Front seats can't be moved back far enough, seats are nothing more than foam rubber and don't dissipate heat. Metal gauge of car is too thin, auto choke needs manual setting and better engineering.